• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Military trailer towing limits?

86M10086.2L

Whats the largest military trailer that can safely/reasonably be towed behind a M1008. I found a M416 trailer that's cheap that I might pick up, but I was a bit disapointed that its too small to fit a ATV in. Are there any larger trailers that can be used with a M1008? Or are you limited to the M416, M100 types. The M416 would still be cool for camping and stuff, but if something bigger can be used that would be great.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A M1008 should have no problem towing a M116 3/4-ton generator trailer. Buy one without the gensets, install a couple ramps in the back, drive your ATV on and haul butt down the road!

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have towed a 25' gooseneck behind a 1985 1 ton (civy) chevy pickup with 3 dismantled truck bodies on the back with no issues what-ever from TX to WI. The only possible problem may be not enough motor if you have too big of a trailer and the 6.2.

AJMBLAZER

The M101 was the trailer meant to be towed behind it. They even changed the design to a more modern 8 lug axle so it could use the same wheels as the Dodge and Chevy CUCV's.

The M105 can be towed behind a CUCV but the trailer empty is pushing the limits so you can't really load it down at all.

The problem with military trailers is they are so much heavier than their civilian counterparts that you're potentially loosing capacity on the trailer by running out of towing ability with the vehicle. I've got a civilian trailer that can't weigh half what a M101 weighs but can easily haul just as much.

86M10086.2L

Well I grabbed the M416 I found. It's in good shape and the price was right. It needs a few things but they all do. The Quad still fits in the bed of the truck. So I may just shift the stuff from the truck bed to the trailer and keep the ATV in there during travel.

Attachments

krick3tt

It looks like it needs a spring over to get it to ride level with your truck.
Really not a big issue to put the axle under the springs except the parking brake attachment to the frame will need adjustment. Extend them with a plate.
Mine rides the same as before, when the springs were on bottom.

Morris
73 Pinzgauer, M416 trailer

86M10086.2L

I'm thinking on that, we'll see. Seems alot of Jeep and Landcruiser guys use these and the Canadian version trailers. Anyone have any idea where I can find military tail lights and mounting brakets for thetrailer? I'm not having much luck finding any. I'm already in the trailer section with the same info, just covering all the bases because you never know who has what.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks