• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Military Vehicle gathering for veterans organization in need

dblcamaros

UPDATED!! please see latest/last posting!
Hello all,
I had posted this originally under conversations (to see what kind of interest there would be). Since it has not really stirred much interest I figured maybe this would be a better place to post it, so sorry for the double post.
Anyway, our American Legion is undergoing a revitalization due to many of our members passing on. We are trying to gather new younger members to keep our post active and alive. We would like to sponsor a Military Vehicle gathering, complete with food, and even some vendors. We are located in Cressona, Pa. which is about 40 minutes (by Deuce) West of Gilbert, Pa. Where as most know they have a nice MV show already. So I figured if we put together a gathering of vehicles the day after (Sunday) the show we could have those that travel to Gilbert come support us that Sunday, that way no one would need to take another day off of work or anything. Since they are already basically here anyway. It would be for a good cause and any monies generated would be funneled back into the community through various veterans programs. Please feel free to contact me with any questions or suggestions. I think this would be a great way to generate renewed interest for the post, and it is a very worth while cause. Really...who doesn't love to see a bunch of MV's gathered in one place anyway?!! All help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks for reading!!! :tank:

Last edited:

dblcamaros

Well I suppose that no one is interested in getting together to help keep an American Legion in need of support from closing it's doors. That is so sad to see that out of everyone out there we can't gather enough people to get together to have a good time and do something useful for a good cause at the same time. The American Legion is a vital part of the community as well as to our heroes (veterans). I really hope that maybe some of you guys that are close enough to us will lend a hand. We would greatly appreciate the help. Otherwise there is a real possibility that we may end up shutting our doors in the near future. Not only will that affect our veteran members, but will also be a huge loss to our community! You can look at the website (www.cressonalegion.org) to see just how much support is given to our community through donations. Not to mention the many other ways also. Please consider helping out a worthy cause.
Thanks all!

dblcamaros

plewhiskey.... I fired off an e-mail to the president of the organization about 2 hours ago. I informed them that I was provided their website info. from a steel soldiers member. Hopefully we can put something together with them. I will let you know the outcome.T
hanks again!

lw50mg

Hi, I'm going to the Red ball rally & would very much like to attend yours. Let me know if I can help. Newman Smith American Legion Post 514 Bushkill, PA

dblcamaros,
I go to Gilbert every year with a vehicle and an MKT in tow. Have a real interest in helping Veterans, since I am one myself. I will start talking this up around my area and with some of the people that usually go to Gilbert together. See what I can come up with. Good luck.

John

dblcamaros

Very much appreciated 25thIDAA! I also go to the Gilbert show, last year was my first time and I loved it. I hang out with Gypsy Co. Joe Horwath is my cousin. I thank you very much for any effort you put forth. I knew that some guys on here would come through for a worthy cause!!! On a seperate note....I am also Air Assault qualified. Went through at Fort Rucker Alabama back in '87. Huaaah! Really looking forward to putting together a show and hopefully spurring some interest in our post. A lot of our members are WWII veterans and as we all know, unfortunately they are passing on quickly now.
I will get back to you when I have some more interest, so I can make more concrete plans. I would like to try to do it on the Sunday after Gilbert show. I believe that is Sept. 22. I think Gilbert is Fri. and Sat. the 20th and 21st. That way no one need to take off of work and such

Last edited:
dblcamaros,
That is funny, I also hang out with the Gypsies and know Joe and Molly. Great people, can't wait to see everyone at Gilbert. I hope we can do this. Let me know, and keep me posted.

John

dblcamaros

25thAA........... Are you the veteran that ran the military kitchen last year at Gilbert to keep the public pressure from Gypsy Co.? If so I definitely remember you and also thank you again for the deer meat and corn!! lol They were awesome. Anyway, I have a date of Sept.22 set for the show. I had spoken to borough council today ND GOT THE GO head for the "grove area" to hold it. So now it is a matter of laying everything out, and planning. Provided we have enough member support to have a decent gathering anyway. Let me know what you think. Again, thanks for your interest and support. Our legion/community truly appreciate it.

dblcamaros

Well to all you guys who want to be a part of this gathering..Thank You. I have the grove laid on for 22 Sept. I will contact you and post here as I gather more information. If I could would you guys that are planning on attending please let me know what type of vehicle you will be bringing and how many other friends with vehicles are coming. that way I can start to lay out how the parking and such will need to be. We could even have a few vendors as well. I would say no more than about 20-30 vendors though. If anyone wants to take part as a vendor, please feel free to pm me for details.
Thanks all! Really looking forward to this. I think it will really help out our post a lot!

dblcamaros

We are located in Cressona, Pa. which is about 40 minutes (by Deuce) east of Gilbert, Pa.
Correct me if I'm wrong but is it not west of?
You're right.....it is west. I didn't even realize I typed East. My bad, I will correct that. We are def. West of Gilbert. Sorry for that typo. Thank you for pointing it out to me.

lw50mg

I thought you were much closer than you are. Taking US-209 S and PA-443 from Gilbert you are 48.5 mi, 1 hour 11 mins by car, 5 tons are much slower. That is in the opposite direction to my home. I'm going to have to pass.

dblcamaros

UPDATE

I had brought the proposal of the gathering of Military Vehicles to our Legion Board members last night. It was passed unanimously, also ok'd through Borough Council for Sunday Sept. 22. I have also heard back from the President of Pa. historical Military Vehicle Assoc. they have put my request for their participation in their news letter and before their Board as well. They are going to contact me back to see how things stand with their involvement. So..any one who wants in on this is certainly welcomed and appreciated! I am also tossing around the idea of having some vendors possibly. Still working that part out. I am thinking the shows hours maybe from like 9 a.m. til like 5 or 6 p.m.. We will also have a concession stand (sandwiches, hot dogs, water, soda, tea) possibly live music plus a membership booth for membership to our Legion, S.A.L and Auxiliary units of our post. Of course the MV's!!! Maybe might be able to work out some door prizes or something to that affect (if I can work it out in time).
Thanks all!
Randy

MadCat2

Vending

Well, I believe we are in the right place w the right crowd. Im Chad from Tew's Armory, we,ve set up at Sussix an Aberdeen MV Rallys. I have an M936 Wrecker and my brother has a M35a3 and we are vending at the Gilbert show and dont have any other plans, so we will be happy to hop on over after the MV rally and set up at your location if you can let us have a spot with our vehicles for vending. We have lots of ammo cans and military surplus we need to unload- the wives are demanding we make room in the garage!

Only question, are their shower facilities available or at least access to a bathroom, and can we camp on site, we dont like to leave the gear.

SGT Tew

UPDATE

I had brought the proposal of the gathering of Military Vehicles to our Legion Board members last night. It was passed unanimously, also ok'd through Borough Council for Sunday Sept. 22. I have also heard back from the President of Pa. historical Military Vehicle Assoc. they have put my request for their participation in their news letter and before their Board as well. They are going to contact me back to see how things stand with their involvement. So..any one who wants in on this is certainly welcomed and appreciated! I am also tossing around the idea of having some vendors possibly. Still working that part out. I am thinking the shows hours maybe from like 9 a.m. til like 5 or 6 p.m.. We will also have a concession stand (sandwiches, hot dogs, water, soda, tea) possibly live music plus a membership booth for membership to our Legion, S.A.L and Auxiliary units of our post. Of course the MV's!!! Maybe might be able to work out some door prizes or something to that affect (if I can work it out in time).
Thanks all!
Randy

dblcamaros

That sounds awesome guys. Thank you! I will get back to you with more details in a few days. I am still waiting to hear back from the MV Historical assoc.. If they do not participate it may not happen, (unless I can get enough MV's from others). As of right now I only have like 4 or 5 people with MV's not counting me. Hopefully we can pull at least 20-30 together. I will let you know soon.
Randy

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks