• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Minimal Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) for a cucv

DokWatson

My truck is a 12 volt system, results may be a little different. I'm running two 700CCA batteries from wal-mart wired in parallel.

Yesterday it was -12, I don't usually plug in since its not a daily driver. Was curious to see if it would start. The direct drive starter couldn't overcome the extremely thick 15w40 oil chilled to -12. IIRC I cycled the plugs 4 times for 10 seconds, and cranked for 15 seconds each time. The batteries didn't die. They were at 78% charged according to my battery tender. I think its fair to say the starter+oil were at fault, batteries did all they could.

This morning I decided to drive it to work, started up happy as can be at 6 degrees. 17 degree difference doesn't seem like a lot, but it was all it took.

I have a gear reduction starter laying here waiting to get put in, I'll probably post how it does once its in and we get hit with more cold weather. I'll be sticking with 15w40 oil since when the truck is used its worked hard.

Hopefully this helps in some way, didn't mean to write a book lol.

bigfishtoys

found this thread - - I need to replace the four 6TMF batteries in my 1991 BMY M931A2 5 ton truck. Where would you go to purchase those batteries? I'm open to purchasing alternative batteries that would do the same job. Someone mentioned got to a Cat dealer for batteries like in an excavator or dozer, another person mentioned a farm supply store.

kimco

Newbie here, so still playing catch up.

I just had my m1009 delivered and need to get new batteries the loader at Hill AFB said any 2 car batteries will do. So i'm confused on what to get. Any help would be appreciated.

cpf240

Group 31 car / truck batteries will work just fine. If you can get them, call your local Interstate dealer and see if they have any "blem" batteries in stock. May save you a lot of money. I've had a set in my truck since I bought it, and they work just great!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks