• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Minor (???) Deuce probelms....can you help?

dm22630

I hope the following 3 things are minor problems.

I called the Virginia State Police today & told them that I just bought a MV & did not have a title......but needed to go to lowes for supplies for a pole barn. They said to slap "farm use" tags on it & check w/my insurance to make sure I was covered.....I called my insurance and added one of the deuces for $20!!! PER YEAR.

I then drive around for a good 2 hours and when I get back home....I see the front passenger side wheel hub leaking grease/fluid & a small leak is in the top of the radiator.

Also, the soft top has come apart across the front of the cab. Is this fixable?

Thanks!

Daniel

Attachments

FreightTrain

Banned
Your gonna love replacing those front axle seals.Gotta take EVERYTHING apart.Buy a front axle kit from OD iron and do the boots(you need one),inner,outter seals and regrease everything.Gotta take both sides apart at the same time to get the inner seals since the easiest way is to just put a pipe though the axle and knock the retainer out from the other side.Go ahead and do everything at one time.Also,a brand new cab top is only like $250 bucks from GMA covers.I would just buy a new one instead of trying to fix that one.

renovate7

I would pull the radiator and send it to a shop to be cleaned and resoldered. The piece of mind and new look will be worth the price, $150-300. Don't just hand it to the first rad shop you find, check around. You need an "old timer" who can work on these copper core units. Do NOT put any of the radiator stop leak products in it!...My top also had the threading let loose across the front. If you can find a canvas top/awning/boat cover type business they should be able to restitch it for you. My plastic strips were also damaged. I talked to GMA about just buying the plastic strip as I have someone who can stitch it on. After talking to everyone including the "sales manager" for 2 weeks to get a price on the strips I ordered a new top for $172 plus freight. They said they would send me some of the strips with the new top but didn't. I still want the strips so I can repair my old top.I plan on cutting a hole for the ring mount. I think if I cut a hole and then sow a flap with velcro around the edge I can make a removeable panel.

devilman96

Ditto on most things but I don’t think I would have that radiator patched, in looking at the pic someone has already done some home grown patch work on the shroud as well as the upper tank... Prolly time to call that one "done" and get a replacement. Check with Matt at Green Gem 386-364-4669, he usually has several take outs sitting around for 75-100$... Shipping cost almost as much as the radiator does but the price makes it worth it.. (I get over $800 for new ones!)

The seal kit FT mentioned... I have two different ones listed for the front... Ones a basic kit and will fix your issues, the other is a master kit which will get you through the brake cylinders and has enough in it to keep the first timer out of trouble (clamps, etc), if you have never been there ya might want to consider it... Both are on this page...

http://www.odiron.com/store/index.php?cPath=4_48

The top... yep re-stitch it... Or again.. ask Matt at Green Gem while you’re talking about radiators, im sure he has a few around.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
If you pull the front axle down that far, go ahead and put brake shoes and wheel cylinders/kits in it. No point in not doing so.

nattieleather

You can restitch the top if you have the time. You have the choice of two basic tools. The automatic stitch awl (nothing automatic about it) which is an awl with a bobin of thread in it. It is used to repair canvas and leather. You can get them at craft stores, and leather craft shops. I am out of them and wont be ording any in for a while.... The other option is to use a glovers needle. The glovers needle is a needle with a chisled point on it and you could stitch it back together with that. Use a good polyester/nylon thread. You'll want a size like 0000 to have a heavy enough needle. The smaller the number the bigger the needle. Or send your top to me and I'll do it for $50.00. If I had a machine I'd do it for less, but I 100% hand sew everything...:)

Send the rad out like said above. Yep you gotta redo the front end on the truck...might as well plan on doing it all. Get the manuals and give your self plenty of time.

cleb

For the soft top, a friend of mine used "Goop" to re-attach the plastic strip to the top, then on each end used thin strips of aluminum on the front, pop rivited from the back, so basically it was plastic strip, vinyl, metal strip, and the head of the rivet was on the plastic side. You can hardly notice when painted black, and its a lot less time comsuming than re-stiching. On my truck at least it seems like the top is stressed way more than it should be when taking it on/off, and even once installed. I guess it if was too loose it would flap at high speeds, but it seems awful tight...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks