• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mirrors removed from windshields in M1009s...

linx310

Why is it just about every M1009 that comes out of GL have its rear view mirror removed.

Does the glue just let go on the mount or do people pull them off?

91W350

Funny you should post this... when I picked mine up at Jefferson City, my first adjustment was the inside mirror, from the windshield to the passenger's seat. It came off in my hand, nice way to start your recovery...

twright

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is The Glue . you can get the glue at places like auto zone just make sure you put the part that goes on the windsield on right .
AEC Retired Tony

bkwudzhom

Rember how old these things are. That glue has been there a long time. It's not unusual at all for them to come off. That's why it is so easy to find a repair kit.

panama

I am with 91W350...right off the lot I went to adjust the mirror and it came off in my hand. Glued it back on and it's been fine ever since.

ranchhopper

Thats the same thing I ask myself why all the GL deuces except one I just bought has no pioneer tools on it until a couple weeks ago they sold two triwalls in the same lot full to the top with pioneer tools.

davidkroberts

I wonder who bought the triwalls, I need a few sets of pioneer kits. The only one ive ever had that had the pioneer kit was a unimog i got from the swiss military, That one came with the pioneer kit, tool kit, spare parts kit, and wheel chock...... :shock:.... if they could all be so easy

Marschmallow

I glued my mirror back on twice, the 2nd time I opted for the more expensive kit that came with a piece of sandcloth. I think scratching up the surface area was key. But its only been 4 months now.

Barrman

Clean both surfaces and duct tape the thing on there for a few hours before you try to hang the mirror has worked better for me than holding it and then letting go.

PaulbusMax

Thats the same thing I ask myself why all the GL deuces except one I just bought has no pioneer tools on it until a couple weeks ago they sold two triwalls in the same lot full to the top with pioneer tools.
I'd like to score a couple triwalls full of all the gauge sets that have been pulled from deuces.

Timber

Mine was off. I stopped by an auto glass shop and let them glue it back on for $7. I don't know if it'll last any longer than AutoZone glue though...

Tanner

They remove the mirrors so that the sight of a tow truck constantly following you like a vulture doesn't spook the driver...

'Tanner'

Whitey

Mine is fortunately still intact. However, about seven years ago the rear-view on my Caprice fell off in Baltimore traffic. My lunch break was spent at Wally World getting the cheap glue kit and reinstalling the mirror. I did not want to spend two rush hours without it!

btw, the glue is still holding.

McCluskey

My mirror was intact but the reflective part of it was screw up. Huge spottly blotches over the center of it. The original mount was secure enough to re-use with a new mirror, but I still have glue in the truck just in case.

Matt65

My mirror was in my glove box when purchased. After I replaced the cracked windshield I reinstalled as mentioned here.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks