• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Missing cap on air inlet

Sigi

Hi guys, I recently won an M1123 at auction. Pictures show it is missing the cap on the air inlet-entire snorkel is missing. The vehicle is shown running. Once the truck is released it will be transported to the wet PNW for about 1000 miles. I understand there is a rubber drain valve at the bottom of the filter housing. Just want to confirm that rain water will drain from the air filter and not be ingested when the tow driver starts the vehicle. Is that correct?

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi guys, I recently won an M1123 at auction. Pictures show it is missing the cap on the air inlet-entire snorkel is missing. The vehicle is shown running. Once the truck is released it will be transported to the wet PNW for about 1000 miles. I understand there is a rubber drain valve at the bottom of the filter housing. Just want to confirm that rain water will drain from the air filter and not be ingested when the tow driver starts the vehicle. Is that correct?
being it’s a USMC truck, the air intake is sealed to prevent water intrusion during fording, that also allows water to NOT drain either…unless the filter housings clean out plug has deteriorated or fallen off to allow water to exit…but I doubt it.
Ive heard of folks who had alot of water in the housing, even the motor….but that would take a lot of water.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
oddly enough, my M1123 from Yermo had the duckbill drain valve on the air filter housing rather than the solid one for fording. So it could go either way.

Still, it's probably a good idea to have the driver cover it before they drive up here. Tape should work as long as the surface is clean enough for it to stick and not blow off in the wind.

Welcome to the madness. There are a few of us up here in the PNW with HMMWVs, and we have a facebook group for our area for more local activities. Send me a message if you want to join it and need help finding it (PNW Steel Soldiers)

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the same duckbill open drain as Coug was referring to. Any water from rain or anything but dumping a bucket of water on it should drain no problem. I would assume that you have the same setup. I just took my canister off and I want to say it has a rubber piece that lets water out but not in. Don’t hold me to it because I might have it confused with something else, brain doesn’t work like it use to. Mine is a 2002 M1123

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the same duckbill open drain as Coug was referring to. Any water from rain or anything but dumping a bucket of water on it should drain no problem. I would assume that you have the same setup. I just took my canister off and I want to say it has a rubber piece that lets water out but not in. Don’t hold me to it because I might have it confused with something else, brain doesn’t work like it use to. Mine is a 2002 M1123
if it had the snorkel intake and exhaust, that piece is replaced with a solid cap to keep water from creeping in if submerged, so that is where the concern comes in. Without knowing if it had the snorkel or not, no way to know which rubber cap is installed (and even then it's probably screwed up sometimes)

tgejesse

All these yermo 1123 owners here…
Random off topic question but mine has a vent line that runs from the passenger side to the driver side but I have no idea where it connects. It’s just sitting there all alone looking for a home. Anyone have ideas?

Sigi

if it had the snorkel intake and exhaust, that piece is replaced with a solid cap to keep water from creeping in if submerged, so that is where the concern comes in. Without knowing if it had the snorkel or not, no way to know which rubber cap is installed (and even then it's probably screwed up sometimes)
Thanks for all the responses. I was hoping for the duckbill valve but as many of you point out it may not have it. I will try to get the driver to tape it up and be present before the driver starts it up on arrival. What are the chances that govplanet would add a cap and drain filter before pickup?

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Thanks for all the responses. I was hoping for the duckbill valve but as many of you point out it may not have it. I will try to get the driver to tape it up and be present before the driver starts it up on arrival. What are the chances that govplanet would add a cap and drain filter before pickup?
zero

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Post a pic of what you are looking at and it will probably give some clues to what you have.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don’t start the truck at all, have them forklift it on instead.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are the pics. GP shows the engine running without a problem ( I guess it rarely rains in Yermo).
That has the elbow that goes into the air canister. Yes you can get water into it but I think it has a one way deal on the bottom of the canister. It doesn’t rain very much in Yermo and I they started it already. Shipping on something that doesn’t drive on the trailer is more expensive. I would be concerned also but it will probably be fine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks