• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Missing Data Plates

mcrane

Hey guys, new here and to 5 tons. I just purchased a M246 wrecker/tractor, problem is some crack head stole all the data plates off the dash. Can anyone take pictures of them or better yet anyone have a set they would let go of? It is an earlier one, has the continental R6602 gasser, I really need to know what all the transfer case levers do.

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bummer. Those plates will be very difficult to find. You will need to find someone parting one of these out. Try Memphis Equipment and Red River Parts. The TM for this truck should be in the TM section on this site and there will be pictures of the plates and operation instructions.

mcrane

Thanks NDT, i downloaded the manual and found what the levers control. Now in hoping that i don't have a major transfer case issue, the truck wont do anything with the transfer case in low range. It was in low range and transmission in gear when i bought it, one i got it running it wouldn't move, i messed with all levers and finally pulled the hi/low lever up hard (had to move the passenger seat, then it drove. I was told by the previous owner that he had a wrecker pick it up from the rear and tow it to where it sits now. Hoping i don't have major t-case issues.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Definitely need to verify that the xfer hi low range shift rod is moving from detent to detent and it’s not a linkage issue. Almost nothing can be repaired inside the xfer from the outside and it’s no fun to pull it and split it open. Good luck.

mcrane

NDT, does it have a "neutral" between high and low range? Like if the shift rod isn't doing its job could it rotate in between hi and low like its in neutral without any noise? Also just to give back ground on me, I've been a light mechanic for 35 years, a heavy truck(OTR) mechanic for 15 years, and a yellow iron (heavy equipment) mechanic for 15 years, I've never messed with the transfer case of one of these trucks

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
NDT, does it have a "neutral" between high and low range? Like if the shift rod isn't doing its job could it rotate in between hi and low like its in neutral without any noise? Also just to give back ground on me, I've been a light mechanic for 35 years, a heavy truck(OTR) mechanic for 15 years, and a yellow iron (heavy equipment) mechanic for 15 years, I've never messed with the transfer case of one of these trucks
Yes. There is a neutral between High and Low on the Transfer Case. And like @NDT mentioned, possibly disconnect the linkage and shift the "TC" from low to neutral to high "by hand". Often times the seat or something like the floor pan can keep you from shifting.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is what you are working with, the T-138 transfer case. The red circled rod is what has to move in and out to shift. It does not turn. There is a small square access cover which you might be able to remove and send in an inspection camera, I have never done this.

Attachments