• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Missing handle on a M116A3? (PU-797 recovery)

Guyfang

Staff member
Good luck with your recovery L.I.T.D! I'll probably be heading there late Sunday night to pick up 2 of mine. I've always had them delivered in the past, but prices recently went way up on delivery, so this is my first trip to Chambersburg myself! Gonna try putting both on a tag-along car trailer either with tongues overlapped facing each other or one tongue under the back of the other trailer, depending on the location of the trailer wheels. Either that or I'm bringing a set of F350 rims and narrow tires that should fit between wheel wells.
If you put one tongue under the rear of the other, watch out for the rear jack leg. Also, if you tow it home, LITD, make sure the retaining pin is in the rear jack leg.

Chainbreaker

3/8" diameter bolt x 4" Grade 5 or 8. You put it in the mechanism if the brakes are locking up as you back up a hill or over some obstruction. It blocks the movement of the braking mechanism. Not used during forward travel unless brakes are messed up. Remember to put your brake engagement handles in the up position, too.
Also, the lockout is used when the surge brake's internal shock absorber is worn out. If shock is worn you will think someone has a jack hammer attached to your hitch when you come to a stop (it sets up a pogo effect with worn shock damper). If you are towing with a 3/4 ton rated vehicle or better you will hardly even notice its back there, stopping or pulling.

Chainbreaker

For reference, here is a picture with lockout bolt installed on mine. Mine has worn shock damper and its more trouble than its worth to replace it as I only tow to fuel it up about once a year, regardless it tows really nice locked out. My rig is a Ram 2500 5.9 diesel so you should have no trouble towing with your rig with or without operational surge brake.

BTW, my bolt was 3/8 by 4-1/2" so anywhere from 4" - 4 1/2" long will work as Zed254 pointed out.

WP_20171020_001.jpg

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I asked in my other thread on this in the trailers forum, but I will also ask here... anyone know the socket size needed for the castle nut holding the rim in place? In case I need to loosen a stop. Thanks

Zed254

Part number from trailer TM 9-2330-202-14&P is 5340011514202 19207 12441093 NUT, CASTELLATED. Good description here: https://aerobasegroup.com/part-number/12441093_01-498-0322. Dimensional description is across the flats - 1.5 inch.

Good thing you asked: my foggy memory in PM was wrong......and I do have a 1.5" socket.

You will probably be OK with this trailer: the newer tires might mean no one has pulled the rims off. The trailer I had a hot bearing on was a 2006 M1101 that had a lot of miles on it.....and some maintenance done on the bearings. The 3 new trailers I have pulled have been perfect.

Last edited:

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah it looks to be in real nice shape. I dont anticipate problems... but its when you don't, right? Thanks for the dimensional clarification.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well as an update, she pulled like a dream. I wish all trailers were so happy at highway speeds! Hubs were cool to the touch even after the 400ish miles were up. Actually got a chance to meet up with Ray70 as he was at the yard at the same time. A little jealous he was leaving with two, and I only one... but such is life ;).

A real nice ride once you leave the disaster-movie-in-the-making of CT/NY/NJ traffic!

Ray70

Nice, Glad you made it home safe, it was nice to meet you as well. We got loaded up and all chained down , then realized I had negative tongue weight on the trailer, ( borrowed trailer from my brother and he warned me that it has an odd wheelbase that's difficult to balance ) had to have the loader driver turn the 2nd get around to get some weight on the tongue. Drove back the long way, 81 to 84 to avoid the Tappan Zee and had no problems... other than my truck not having enough power to go over 50 up those big long hills!
900 miles in 1 shot makes for a long day, but its always a good day when you're picking up anything diesel powered.

FarmingSmallKubota

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Guyfang

Staff member
old thread i know, this link no longer works. anyone have a replacement option before i fabricate one. Just brought home 2 units on trailers. One is a 05 with the 116a3 trailer and the other is an 09 with a newer trailer more modern jack on that one.
This is the prime example why folks should not link to web pages that will go away.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks