• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Missing Something Mep002a and Mep003a

Wishlist

Well I have come across two Generator sets a 10kw and a 5kw with the same problem, both don't work.
I have fuel, oil and battery power, (with the the help of a charger) they both prime and move through the steps of wanting to start. When I place he selector switch to start nothing happens no clicking nothing. I must be missing something simple (I hope) but I am at a loss, I was hoping to figure this out on my own, but looks like I will need the help of the professionals on this site.

Thanks,
Matt

cuad4u

Check the starter "over run or starter cut out" switch for proper operation. It is located just in front of the oil filter. As a temporary measure to see if that is your problem, disconnect the Cannon connector with 2 wires located just above and just to the left of the oil filter and jumper out the proper two female pins in the left hand connector with a piece of wire. There are 3 pins in the connector. Only 2 of the 3 pins have wires connected. Jumper these two pins. Try to see if the starter engages and runs.

Ray70

When you say "With the help of a charger" do you mean you had to charge both batteries or are you trying to assist weak batteries using chargers while trying to start the generator?
Your problem might be as simple as weak batteries or dirty connections on your battery wires. You could be getting enough power to run your fuel pumps but not enough to engage the starter. If the starter lockout switch checks out ok, try jumping power right at the starter. touch a wire from the "B" battery wire terminal to the "S" switch terminal on the starter and see if it cranks. If so you aren't getting power to the "S" terminal of your starter when you try to crank for some reason. If it still doesn't crank you probably have a bad starter, a bad connection or bad batteries and will need to diagnose further.

Wishlist

Yes they are new to me, I am not at the point of bleeding the injectors yet.

On the 5kw unit I checked the starter and it works the starter solenoid was a little sticky but still pushed the plunger to engage the gear. I did check the Cannon connector "over run or starter cut out" I did have a complete circuit so no jumping necessary. I checked pins A and B and it seemed to be working as designed.

Thanks for the quick response guys.

Wishlist

I have week batteries, I will try jumping the starter like you said. So besides the starter, connections, batteries and the starter cut out connection nothing else keeps this thing from running?

dangier

You said that it would not try to start when you put the selector switch to start. Try jumping out the over temperature switch. Two wires that go into the three pin cannon plug on the right side of the cooling dampersection. I know all four of mine will not even try to start if the overtemperature switch is open. I would not run it long this way-you might have an overheating issue.
David

Last edited:

Ray70

You might also want to check the starter switch and verify you are getting power out of the switch while trying to crank. Check both at the switch and at the "S" terminal on the starter. That will tell you if something is interrupting the power between the switch and the starter. The schematic on the unit should show you which wires to test. I believe its #26 on the S1 switch. Look near the top right corner of the schematic and find S1

Ray70

When you go to crank it, do you hear the fuel shut off solenoid activate? Probably just 1 loud click when you turn the switch to start.

Wishlist

Well seems to be I have two good batteries and two bad batteries. I took the good ones and paired them together instead of one good one bad the way it came to me. Now the starter solenoid activates but the starter will not spin. I tested the starter and it works just not by the switch. I placed the weaker battery on charge and will go back out to see if it made a difference.

Isaac-1

Check the cut out switch located under the fan shroud just forward of the oil filter, you can temporarily jumper it out to test.

Wishlist

I have jumped the switch but still working the same (or not working) so I reconnected it. I do not believe the cut out is the problem. Funny how something so easy is so difficult. I am leaning towards it is a battery issue or a problem inside of the starter solenoid if the starter solenoid is pushing the plunger it is getting power, once it pulls the plunger the copper plate inside connects the pin going to the top of the starter energizing it, maybe that is my failure point I am not getting a connection inside of the solenoid.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Fully charge both of your good batteries then take them down to you local auto parts store to have them load tested then start your trouble shooting.

Wishlist

I like creating work for myself and in the process of cleaning and testing the solenoid I lost a key part, there is a small round flat disk that fits into the plunger mechanism that fell out while I was not watching. I made a new one and it is working but I have not reinstalled it yet I am waiting for daylight.

Wishlist

Ray70,
You got it right, it was the batteries both units started and ran fine with fresh batteries.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Ray70

AWESOME! New batteries and you're good to go [thumbzup] If you don't mink me asking, which batteries did you go with? All 3 of my generators need new batteries but I don't want to throw down $600+ at the moment, but I really need at least 1 set. I'd be interested to hear which brand has given folks the best/longest performance for the money.... But that's probably a new thread.... Congratulations on getting up and running!

Isaac-1

The best deal I could find locally on batteries for my MEP-002a when I was looking a couple of months ago was for a pair of Group 51R Excide Classics from Tractor supply at $75 each, everyone else wanted around $100 for the same thing.

Rapracing

The best deal I could find locally on batteries for my MEP-002a when I was looking a couple of months ago was for a pair of Group 51R Excide Classics from Tractor supply at $75 each, everyone else wanted around $100 for the same thing.
I got the same ones for the 002. I got Exide Classic 34C's from a local Battery Warehouse for $85 each for the 003.