• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mission accomplished

gunboy1656

Today I set out with a goal.....to replace a rear axle seal.

This was going to be the first time I EVER did one. I was supposed to have a friend come over who knew how to do it. but we could never get the times to match to work on it. So I learned as much as I could from all the posts and the limited info in the TM's about doing in.

So this morning my dad came over to give moral support, and help me get the wheels off, and away we went. took a little longer then we thought since we had to run out for some parts. Took us about 2 hours (including finding the stuff we need).

I want to thank all who posted about doing the job, it was a GREAT help.

Unfortunately there are no pics, as I was too greasy and oily to take any. Now I am confident I can do the rest.

gunboy1656

It was a good day. Learned something new.

Took it out for a trip; no leaks, fluid levels still good. Even the lug nuts never loosened.

Only downfall was a little sunburn.

DieselBob

Good to hear all went well. Did you use cork wedges or RTV in the spindle key way. I have a couple items to get and then I'm pulling all the hubs for bearing repack and brake inspection.

wb1895

Where did you get the axle seal and how much did it cost....(if you dont mind me asking) I have a leaky middle axle seal and am in need of parts.

Wow, that's not bad for your first time I would suspect. My rears are all leak free so far.

I have both front inners leaking. I'm hoping it's just a plugged up vent but won't know till I get under there.

If the vent is clear, I'll be researching a bunch myself and ordering seals and boots for the deep dive.

Wish me luck...I'm going in!

gunboy1656

The vent was one of the first things I tried. Didn't want to make more work then I needed to, but the vent allowed air to pass...so, it was time to get messy.

Just looking at the truck, it looks hard. Actually doing it, it goes quick. And I was not using air tools, just a standard lug wrench (not even geared), pliers, 3" socket