• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mitigating brake failures

What is the most common mode of deuce brake failure?

• brake hose rupture

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • wheel cylinder leakage/failure

Votes: 20 66.7%
  • air pack/master cylinder failure

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • brake hardware issue

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something I haven't thought of (feel free to comment below_

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm gettting ready to replace some brake lines on my deuce and was wondering what the most common brake failure mechanisms were. Wheel cylinder leaks, hose ruptures, air pack/master cylinder issue, or something else entirely. I'm contemplating installing 1/4" quick throw swagelock valves in the brake lines going to the wheels to enable isolation of a failed wheel cylinder. Obviously, if hose failures are the most common this would be a waste of time/money.

Take a minute and think about all the brake failures you've experienced/read about and answer the poll below to help a deuce newb who likes to tinker with stuff.

wsucougarx

Replace or rebuild all your brake cylinders! Regardless if they leak or not. You definately don't even want ONE brake cylinder to open up on you when you need it most. You probably already know this but Pre'87 deuces are all a ONE circuit brake system. You loose one brake cylinder and you have NO brakes. Rebuild kits are only like $6 per wheel. Not much when you consider rear ending a minivan full of kids

jasonjc

I think the main thing is age/lack of maintenance. I have a truck that was running good and breaking just fine. Had a small leak at one wheel cyc. When I went to rebuild it this what I found see pic. I flush all the lines,rebuild all wheel cycinder and replace the rubber hoses. I think I should be good for another 20-30years.?.

Attachments

trog

A common problem on older commercial trucks with hydraulic brakes is the brake light pressure switch. The contacts get hot and cook the plastic, until it breaks apart. Having little valves to isolate troubles would be nifty.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
somewhere, there is a miniscule tiny fault or leak that causes the MC to become almost empty after about 3 years and 15000 highway miles (hardly any braking comapred to a grocery getter or farm truck..). Therefore I voted "other".

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I tend to say all of the above except maybe brake harware. Any system is only as good as it's weakest link and on the deuce if anything goes you've got problems.

Brake harware doesn't seem to cause many problems though. If a spring breaks more than likely the brake will drag or lock up which is much better than not working. Even then it will only effect one wheel and not the whole truck.

dabtl

I think you need to examine all the brake system at some point. Mostly, I fear a failure that I do not see coming. The brakes do not seem to suddenly fail, but do seem to fail over a period of time. BFS level checking is difficult on the stock deuce. That is the primary reason for the installation of the remote brake fluid reservoir. I check it each time I get in the truck, and it takes seconds to reassure myself that I have adequate BFS in the truck when it starts to move. If it gets low, off come the wheels and in go the new cylinders.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I tend to say all of the above except maybe brake harware. Any system is only as good as it's weakest link and on the deuce if anything goes you've got problems.

Brake harware doesn't seem to cause many problems though
. If a spring breaks more than likely the brake will drag or lock up which is much better than not working. Even then it will only effect one wheel and not the whole truck.
With one exception:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/5149-brake-inspections-warnings.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/5140-whoa-no-brakes-20-000-deuce.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/27805-deuce-brake-locks-up-reverse.html

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea Clinto, I knew about the links you posted. I guess what I was trying to say is these problems aren't near as common as line, wheel cylinder, master cylinder failures.

I've bought several trucks from GL and all but one had some sort of problem on the "fluid" side of the system that needed attention.

tmbrwolf

#1 on my list, folks mixing the wrong type fluid in the system IE putting DOT 3 instead of DOT 5, followed by #2 wheel cylinder leaking / failure, and #3 air pack failure, last is master cylinder failure. Hoses do fail but I have not seen one have a catastrophic failure, I have replaced them because of a visual inspection, hose is cracked / leaking. Misadjustment is very common which will cause braking issues (low pedal, imbalanced brakeing)

Thanks for all the replies and the votes. I have already replace one piece of broken brake line and inspected the rest. Wheel cylinder rebuilds along with axle seal replacements are next in line, and I'm going to try to track down the right size braided hoses to replace the rubber one already installed.