• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mix and match tires

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Question:

I have a local who has 4 Michelin 395/85/20s that are in great shape, about 8 years old and wants 325 a tire for them (wheels are included but I'll be using my stock rims).

The question I have:

Can I run the 4 new tires on the drive wheels and take my two best and put them as steer tires until I find two more?

received_653501415813655.jpeg

received_3087034868251159.jpeg

received_659211538576886.jpeg

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those fmtv wheels will bolt up. Just a tiny fraction different backspace that you will never notice.
Save you a ton of work.
Smaller tire will cost you a few miles top speed but I suspect your roads are just as bad as in New Orleans or Baton Rouge......

charlesmann

Yes, they bolt up. I got 7 lmtv wheels with the goodyear shoes. I rmvd the ctis valves, then realized the valve stems would not work for me. I ended breaking down my combat rims to havest the valve stems from them. That leaves me with several 14R 20s dismounted and wheels as spares if i choose to up size to 16s later.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was thinking even in high range without the front axle engaged we had internals in the t case that wouldn't be happy trying to turn at different speeds.

Now I'm questioning that. Maybe I'm dead wrong. You've got me looking at exploded diagrams of the T1138....
If the front axle isn't engaged then there's no sync with the back axles that need to occur. For instance, if you're spinning your rear tires (which would be a bad thing, but awesome to see) and your front axle is not engaged, no biggie. If your t case is engaged and that occurs and you don't get any movement/spinning of the front axle; problem because of the bind.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the front axle isn't engaged then there's no sync with the back axles that need to occur. For instance, if you're spinning your rear tires (which would be a bad thing, but awesome to see) and your front axle is not engaged, no biggie. If your t case is engaged and that occurs and you don't get any movement/spinning of the front axle; problem because of the bind.
That's correct. No problem to run the bigger tires on the front axle, either unlocked - on firm ground, or even locked while traversing mud or loose sand.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I forgot to mention to make sure the holes for lugs are beveled on back of rim to flip them to use on rear.

Some fmtv rims are only beveled on front.

I run 2 fmtv style caiman wheels on front with run flats and 4 combat m939 wheels on rear.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks