• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MK 18 self loading Marine Corps trailer used for?

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I just got an email from GL showing a bunch of self loading trailers, they are marked Marine Corps but the hook up for the big trailers leaves me wondering how would you hook up to this? There are 62 of them in the sale so I don't think anyone here will mind seeing this

Attachments

halftrack

For a side note, the reason the Marines went with the MK48 instead of the HEMTT type trucks was because they can maneuver more easily on ship when space and parking is limited.

goldneagle

Any idea what an MK 18 self loading trailer is????

GL is selling a bunch of these MK 18 self loading trailers in GA. I looked at the pictures provided but can't tell what the trailer is for... What kind of vehicle is needed to tow it? Its 21000 # as is... Just looking for some detail... Thanks

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Any idea what an MK 18 self loading trailer is????

I heard from CGarbee in November that a bunch of older Mk48s and HEMTT type trucks just hit the Ft. Bragg DRMO yard. Not sure if they will find their way to GL side, but thought I would mention it...

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A few of the Mk48 front ends have hit GL and will probably continue to do so. I would doubt very much if a complete HEMTT hits GL except on the off occasion. If one did, however, I'd bid hard to get it...and I'm sure I would not be alone. This would be one of those occasions where I bet the bidding would get almost as high as I paid for my truck retail.

citizensoldier

Hi guys.. I saw these and was looking hard at them.. This is way out of my knowledge base but they look very handy if you could make them work off of another style truck. Do you think this is possible? What drives the hydrolics? I see they have drive axles and a drive shaft hook up but dont see how they work for the loading mechanizm. Is there just couplers to hook to the tractor that drives the hydrolic system? Anybody ever run one? This would be cool modified to be pulled behind a older 5 ton and just pull a show deuce up on it.. Or a house..lol

halftrack

All the power for the hydraulics from what I've seen run from the Power unit itself. I know this because I had the chance to help some Motor Pool guys separate a unit form it's trailer and there must of been about 10 hydraulic lines connecting the power unit to the trailer. Oil all over the place. What a mess. That being said, I do not see any lines coming from the front of these trailers nor the drive shaft going to the rear wheels.

citizensoldier

In one of the pictures I looked at it had a drive shaft hanging in front of it. If they could be bought for a good price you could take the drive axles off put some 5 ton trailer axles under them. Make a pintle hook up or a goosneck style hitch with a power soarce mounted on it and have a very cool, useful trailer. Orrrr I wonder if that bed could be mounted on a 5 ton cargo without to much hassle? Hmmm with so many for sale we might have a shot!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There was one of these trailers in St. Juliens Creek recently, sold for a few thousand dollars. If the buyer had purchased one of the Mk48 units that came out of NC in recent years, he'd have a great little toy to play with!

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I love it when there are big numbers of items at one sale the odds of someone getting one if they want one are good. I would think as heavy as they are that scrap dealers will be eyeing them if they stay low

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks