• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MK48 Cab Replacement Project

ZZ4x4

Thought I'd start a thread for replacement of the cab on an MK48. Should match a HEMTT pretty closely as well. It's certainly going to be a bit challenging without a forklift and crane but I'm attempting using a 2 post lift and a homemade hoist I made from scrap metal. So far so good in removing the skid plate and skid frame. Now it's on to the various hoses and electrical connectors. I can tell there is going to be some rewiring needed since the new cab does not have the ABS warning lights, wiring, or contactors. That is surprising since the new cabs are MK48A1 versions. I think the reason the wiring is left out, is that the original ABS was retrofitted using long wire bundles that go through a hole in the cab and there are no quick disconnects. The holes for the ABS lights are there though. Will keep updates coming.

zzsm2.jpgzzsm3.jpgzzsm1.jpgzzsm4.jpg

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like you have a good hand on the change out. Good luck and the truck looks great.
I got to see it first hand last week!!

ZZ4x4

What is wrong with the cab that is on it now?
Well, there's nothing really wrong with the current cab. Just a little worn. But the new one is so beautiful I couldn't resist putting it on. Even has that new car smell! Not sure what I'll do with the one I take off.

RDUKW

I am in the progress of doing the same thing. My cab is already off. The big thing is mark ALL connections so you know where they go back to and when you lift the cab do a little at a time and re check that you really disconnected everything. My truck is getting a full tear down even the motor and trans are out. I have re painted the whole under carriage, engine compartment and trailer so far. If all goes well I will get the motor back in and the cab back on in the next few weeks. These trucks are very intimidating looking at them but once you are into them they are not that bad

ZZ4x4

In order to lower the front end to a more manageable height I lifted the rear end by disconnecting the lockout struts and used a high lift jack at the articulation joint. The FPU is pretty balanced front to rear so it was easy to lift the rear. I then put blocks between the axle pad and frame to keep it in position for safety. This lowered the front end by almost a foot. I then began the task of disconnecting the electrical connectors, shift cables etc. One of the time consuming things was to remove the old retrofitted ABS control system and wiring and re-install in the new cab. You can see the labels on the wires to keep them straight. Getting close to lifting the cab....

IMG_2107.JPG (3).jpgIMG_2109.JPG (3).jpgIMG_2103.JPG (3).jpgIMG_2116.JPG (3).jpg

ZZ4x4

In this series, I attached the lift mechanism and removed the 3 body bolts. The lift worked fine and the cab easily rolled back. Luckily there were no wires left attached. I did let the steering shaft separate and drop down instead of removing the cab steering box as recommended in the manual. There is a new shaft included wiith the new cab so I'll use that one when it goes back together. The steering box bolts look very hard to get to so I may , in fact, try to have a Soldier B help guide them together when the new cab goes back on instead of removing the box during installation.

Attachments

ZZ4x4

I cleaned the engine and frame with a heated pressure washer and repainted. The engine had surprisingly little oil or grease to remove. I made a little tool to remove the body bushings which worked well. Just about ready for the new cab to go on....

Attachments

Hoefler

Looks nice. I too have one of these trucks. Mine is big and buff colored showing 2100 miles. Its clean and dry and looks like this may be actually how many miles she has.
Yours looks new as new too.
Pete

ZZ4x4

I buy the paint from Rapco http://www.rapcoparts.com/manuals.html . They sell it in spray cans for the small jobs as well as gallon jugs for the big jobs. I've been buying both for many years and the color match is perfect. For the MK48 I use the 34094 383 Green(CARC)Substitute, 30051 383 Brown(CARC) Substitute and 911 Flat Black.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks