• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MK48 for my MK17

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I've found a few threads talking about the MK48 and the MK17. But my question is, how hard is it to find a MK48 for my MK17? From what I've gathered, the HEMTT and PLS/LVS trucks get rebuilt over and over. I realize the HEMTT and PLS/LVS trucks command a premium on the market. But would I be better just building a hybrid truck like PCTRANS did his MK17/M818. Or hold out for the MK48?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You just need to sell your MK17 ;-)
Well, everything has a price. I wouldn't be opposed to parting with it.

I'd like to either put a HEMTT cab over the front of the M55 I have and make a 6x6 HEMTT out of it. Or just take the easy way out and clone pctrans M818/MK17 build. I'd just rather have an MK48 to attach to the front. rofl

Coldfusion21

My vote is hybrid. I do think that it's a shame that means 6x6 vs 8x8 but the whole idea of the mk48/mk17 system is the ability to swap "trailers" with the same power unit. Are you wanting to make use of this feature?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Last I spoke with Ted, he does have a mk48.
Ted is out of the country for another week and a half. But apparently they do have an MK48. I'm certain that I'll be afraid of the admission price though. I'll update the thread when I get to talk to Ted.

bbf

i spoke to him a while ago and he had a few mk48 that he was get together with the mk 16 or 17 that will be up f/s and they were up there in price

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I wonder what up there in price is? This MK17 I have is MINT. I don't think it's ever been used.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well, my fears have been confirmed. Just got off the phone with Ted. They have an MK48, but it won't be ready for a few months. I asked what condition it was in, he said they wouldn't sell it in the condition it was in. Unfortunately the $75,000 price of admission confirms that I'll be merging this MK17 with a 5 ton series truck. Now to decide on using the M55A2 I have or selling it to get a M800 series truck to merge it with.

CanonNinja

i'd almost take that as a blessing in disguise. A classmate from ROTC ended up rolling one of those in the Corps and it was not a pretty sight. I wouldnt want mess with something like that personally. Atleast with a 5 ton properly done you can get probably double the fuel mileage over the Mk48

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm still tempted to move the engine/trans further back in the frame and hand a HEMTT cab on the front. But I can see the project time growing to years to accomplish that.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Have you considered grafting a M916 onto the MK17?

In my book the 400 Cummins with either the CAT or Allison tranny would beat the socks off a 800 series 5 ton. The big 900 series have been selling downright cheap lately. My M915 set me back just hair over 4K.

Just my humble opinion for what it's worth.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well I know the 800 series frame will slide into the MK17 frame no problem. Not sure what I'd be up against with the 900 series trucks. And again, I've got the M55A2 that I could use and would be cheapest. (I think I could sell the axles and back half to pay for the truck basically) But I know first hand how slow the LDS can be when it's really heavy. (35K lb M543A2 shows that to me) I would hope the entire rig would weigh south of 30K lbs. But being able to run WMO in high concentrations makes up for how slow this thing would be. Since I'm guessing it might get 4-5mpg.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks