• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mk48 LVS fuel primer ?

tokarev

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have a question about the primer pump next to the filters on the MK48 - When you pump the primer it blows bubbles in the fuel filter bowl - Theres no real pressure on the pump as you work it. The reason for trying to use the primer pump is the engine wont start - it ran fine when it was delivered and then I let it sit for a couple weeks. Tried to start it - it acted like it wanted to start then nothing. On the door of the truck someone wrote "fuel leak" - I havent found one yet but it might explain it not wanting to start. We crawled all over it looking for a leak. Made sure the shutdown cable/solenoid wasnt stuck closed. Could we be leaking air into the system through the primer pump?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Climb up on top, lift the engine cover back, reach down towards the front, MAKE SURE the fuel shut off is ALL THE way open, we had a few that would stick, and yes, yours has a fuel leak, you can smell it, and hear it, sounds like a injecter line or bad injector, also wet stacking, so my guess is a injector.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
If Ron's fix don't work you may have to try something else.

Two stroke Detriots can be a beotch to start if they run dry. It may be necessary to pressurize the system.

This can be done a couple of ways.....install a valve stem in the fuel cap and put air in that way or wrap a rag around an air nozzle with the core out of it and pressurize that way. The first method is my preferred way......when I was in Korea and drove HEMMTs a lot we kept a modified fuel cap for just such issues.

You do not need a lot of pressure.....a few pounds will work....anymore and you risk blowing a line or seal out.

tokarev

Steel Soldiers Supporter
pressurizing the system

Thanks for the ideas - before I start tearing into the engine I need to know theres fuel at pump - it ran before so something tells me it lost its prime to the pump. Also since the priming pump doesnt seem to be working (compared to my other truck) thats first on the list to look at. I will double check the shut off valve also - though we did check that already.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
ARE BOTH tank valves open, I came across a few that had one valve closed, the gage only reads from one tank, if that tank valve is closed then no matter what is showing on the gage, you could be out of fuel in the other, those valves are only closed when parked on a side slope, then only the high side tank to keep from over filling the low tank

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks