• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mk48 Trailer Loadout w/o FPU?

Augdog1964

Hey all,

Has anyone ever bought a Mk48 trailer w/o the FPU in CA? I need to get a bid on moving one, and I think its a little more than a standard pickup! LOL

Thanks!

M920

Hey all,

Has anyone ever bought a Mk48 trailer w/o the FPU in CA? I need to get a bid on moving one, and I think its a little more than a standard pickup! LOL

Thanks!
Ok so the Mk48 is actually the FPU! I assume that you are asking about hauling the RBU without the FPU correct?
So as an example, the Mk18A1 RBU (self loading container hauler) weighs 20,100 pounds empty and can be towed on it's own wheels by using a pintle conversion kit. It attaches to the front of the RBU and turns it in to a pintle hook, bumper pull trailer.
So you need a pintle hitch adapter for the RBU and at least a 5 ton or a commercial size truck to pull it with.

Btw, the tow hitch bolts on to the trailer and you have to remove the rear driveshaft, so make sure you bring tools.

Also, you need a cord for the lights and two coiled air hoses. Be prepared to splice those in to the trailer since it has plugs that are made to only go with the FPU!

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Why not get a BIG rotating wrecker, just lift and load, this is pretty much how everybody does it, how we did it in FL., if you have access to a loading ramp, you could cage the brakes and have a fork lift work it onto the trailer, this would be a hassle but doable.

Hoefler

Go to the thread-duece tows a MK18. Sandcobra recovered my MK18 which is basically an MK14 with stuff. Used a wreck to lift on to trailer and off as well. I got a towbar with mine along with gladhands and trailer cord. One it arrived and was unloaded, I was able to move it around with my 5-ton.
Not the easiest recovery but worth it.
Pete
IMG_2970.jpgIMG_2968.jpgIMG_2967.jpgIMG_2966.jpgIMG_2965.jpgIMG_2964.jpg