• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MK48 Troubleshooting help needed

ZZ4x4

Hey all,
I received my MK48 from the first set of J'ville units. It is in great shape with everything seeming to function correctly. There is one issue that I'm having that I would like to get inputs on from other MK owners.

When driving straight and around gradual corners there is no problem. However when I am driving very slowly and try to turn the wheels, the engine loads and dies as the articulation gets under load. You can hear the rpms start to drop as soon as the hydraulics start to activate.

I have the manuals and there is a vague reference to hi-idle although there is no switch, knob or pull. Does anyone know if the engine is supposed to compensate for the hydraulic pump load? Can some owners tell me what idle speed you are seeing at idle both in gear and out of gear and what happens to idle speed when you start to pull on the wheel when stopped or creeping? I am idling at 600 ( should be 690-700 so may be an issue) and it drops to 500 in gear stopped and with brakes on. When pulling on the wheel it comes down to 200-300 before giving up.

My air cleaner restriction gauge says it is ok. Bad fuel possibly?

Any thoughts are welcome.
Thanks
Jeff

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Thats funny, I had no problem, even at idle and at a standstill turnig the units, the -20 should have your trouble shooting guide.

According to the -10, the auxiliary hyd. when engaged, activates the high idle, (keeps idle up under load)

Last edited:

ZZ4x4

Ron, If it was working when you got it, you musta broke it. ;) haha

Yeah, the troubleshooting guide doesn't seem to list this issue. Maybe some of the "hard steering" troubleshooting could apply though since it seems to relate to steering load. But the wheel itself is not hard to turn.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Ron, If it was working when you got it, you musta broke it. ;) haha

Yeah, the troubleshooting guide doesn't seem to list this issue. Maybe some of the "hard steering" troubleshooting could apply though since it seems to relate to steering load. But the wheel itself is not hard to turn.
OK, I guess I broke it, just send it to me, I'll fix it, may take a while (a long while) to make sure things are correct, a LOT of seat time will be involved in the testing, maybe even a trip to the 12SSGAR as a trip test, I even have a place to park since the 977 has gone, just let me know the ETA so I can be here to drive it off the truck. [thumbzup]:driver:

Last edited:

ZZ4x4

The issue has been resolved. The engine stop cable was slightly pulled limiting the injector rack and not giving full fuel flow-- thus reducing engine power. Now she turns without even loading the engine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks