• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MKT-85 Parts

radarmonkey

Hello, I am new to military vehicle ownership. I have recently purchased a 1983 MKT-85 on Ebay. It has been essentialy stripped. I bought it in hopes of turning it into a BBQ catering trailer. Does anyone know where I can get parts for this trailer? Specifically the roof lifting jacks (google searched until my fingers were cramped), and the canvas for the cold weather operation (tan prefered)? I am not trying to restore the trailer like I am sure many people would like to see it I just thought it would make a great catering rig. Thanks to SS for creating this forum.

radarmonkey

Oh wow. Thanks for the quick help already. I am not only new to Military Vehicles but forums as well. Thanks you guys for helping out already.

radarmonkey

UncleMikey, do you have pictures of the jacks or can you tell me where you got them and how you modified them? My dad said that the roof was really too heavy for one man to raise by himself and that is why I am interested in finding a way so that I can set this trailer up by myself if I have to.

radarmonkey

I have had some requests for photos. These are the photos that were posted by the seller on Ebay. I don't have any of my own yet but will post them when I do. This trailer appears to be stripped of all of it's gear which is fine for me since I am not going to restore it to it's original condition.

Attachments

Last edited:

m109guy

Man there really is nothing left.

I hope you got the trailer for cheap, as even if you don't want to bring it back to fully original, it is going to cost you a pretty penny to make it into a usable kitchen/catering trailer.

Either the military really stripped the rig, or the guy who you bought it from sold off all that aluminum for scrap. Which is too bad. You will have to build yourself new cabinets/tables for the trailer which will be pretty expensive if you get it made out of metal. And I would not recommend building them out of wood, as any rain or humidity that hits them will rot them apart. Plus I doubt the health inspector will approve wood cabinets.

You have a big job ahead of you, but I wish you luck!

radarmonkey

Yes, I believe I got it pretty cheap. I am going to replace one side of the original equipment with a smoker that I am currently rebuilding with over 36sq ft of cooking space and the other side of the trailer will have fold out stainless counters with a triple basin sink and on demand hot water heater. The front (hitch side) will have a 4ft fold out stainless counter with a hand sink and 2 propane burners. In other words, this trailer will go thru some pretty major overhauls in the next few months. I will keep everyone posted on the progress and hope that I don't offend anyone that I am not restoring it to it's original state.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
heck no...we just want to see pictures of the progress and the final project when it's done.

Maybe you could make it to one of the rallys with that bad boy and feed the group...LOL :twisted: :twisted:

radarmonkey

just a quick update.....did a little work on the smoker's firebox yesterday. I am totally rebuilding the smoker. The firebox will be double walled with 2 inches of mineral wool insulation between the 2 layers of 1/4 inch steel. I am also installing a 25 cfm blower and thermostat to better control the heat.:-D