• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MKT in Fundraiser

thtrev2001

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Our Troop used our MKT for a fundraiser a couple of weeks ago. It's a History fair at a local school. It was a huge turnout and we sold out of Smoked brisket sandwiches and sausage wraps in about 3 hours. There is a pic of a sink we picked up. It's a dental field sink. It uses a foot pump and 2 cans for water and waste water, comes in a heavy duty container too. It was a lot of work but well worth it. Our young men got some great experience. We will be cooking for 250 scouts in June for three days. We need all the experience we can get for that. If you notice, we removed the ovens, moved over the cabinet and installed a BBQ pit. We don't use the ovens much, but we use that pit a lot.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You would have sold out sooner if I was there. Great experience. I love eating off the MKT at the GA Rally. I'm sure the kids will remember that for a long time.

thtrev2001

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's taken a couple of years to put everything together, all the griddles, covers, wiring, drink dispensers, utensils, etc but it's well stocked now and we are confident we can feed a whole lot of people out of it. It would be nice to have a decent size commercial fryer on it, but that's in the future. Every once in a while we bring it out to have the Scouts clean it and teach the new ones how to put it up. We've actually had races to put it up and take it down. They are getting pretty good at it.

ares1986

Thats great that you are involvong the scouts, my son turns 6 in january and will start cub scouts this october. i was thinking about doing the same thing , using an mkt not only for personal camping during deer and squirel seasons were we camp for a week or two at a time but boy scouts and our local mv club events, I think it would be substantial investment and money making device for the club and the scout troop.

:driver:

thtrev2001

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a great fundraising tool. As a Scoutmaster, fundraising is the bane of my existense, but, it must be done. Most of our boys don't have the funds for equipment, dues or camping fees, so fundraising is very important. We found that a lot of people respond to the MKT, it's something different and there are always ex-military guys coming up and telling stories about eating out of an MKT 20 years ago. We fed about 250 Scouts in June for 3 days, a total of 8 meals. It was crazy busy but we got it done. It was great experience. We are in talks with a local chapter of the Confederate, oops I mean Commemorative Air Force about an event in November. They have a C-54 lined up to do a recreation of a "Candy Bomber" run. With all the vintage military stuff that will be on display, we should fit in nicely, it should be a great fundraiser. As your son grows up in the Scouts, volunteer to be Scout leader, it will be a great experience for both of you.

ares1986

I'm sure it will be fun for all of us I'm a third generation eagle scout. I wish I had one when I was in scouting. How did you run the flew for the bbq? Are thier holes in the canvas for an exhaust?

thtrev2001

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you look at the first and last picture you can see the exhaust stack, it's got an angled top so the smoke goes out the side, plus we usaully hand a box fan on the opposite side blowing the smoke out the side. The stack would have to be really tall to exit through the roof. We have never had a problem with smoke buildup. At the bottom of the stack where it comes out of the grill it seperates just before the 90. There is a set screw to hold it in place while in use, then we just pull it off and stow it for travel. The only problem we have had is the grill gets so hot that we had to wait a very long time for it to cool down to pack up the trailer. We solved that buy using a 1/4" thick square "pan" that we put all the charcoal or wood in, when we are done, we just remove the pan, dump the charcoal or wood (appropriately of course) and it cools down in less than 30 minutes.

61sleepercab

A neat set up indeed!! I just hauled in a MKT 90 trailer and like a kid on Christmas Eve I can't wait to open it up and see what all I have to work with. I plan to make the trailer available for group use and for heaven forbid a local disaster if need.

Do you have close up pictures of you bbq cooker to share??? I have 4 MBU burners coming along with two ovens but I have no pans!!

thtrev2001

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't have any close up pictures, but I will get some as soon as we open her up again. Make sure you have plenty of help when you do use it. They are a lot of work.

61sleepercab

I plan to play with it for bbq or chilli cook offs and lend it to 4H and church groups. I want to figure out sinks to make the health inspectors happy campers. I have a food handlers card and have cooked for big groups at church functions.

My trailer pulled well and the travel covers are like new. I will peek inside to see what the GL scavengers have left.
Mark Sergent

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mark,

There is a sink of sorts in the front under the cutting board. It just does not have an outlet and only holds five gallons. I use it for knife storage in my MKT. I've seen pictures of a five gallon water can in a bracket mounted above this 'sink' to provide limited washing capability. Unless you take out some of the cooking surfaces, there's no room to add a sink in this design. That's why I built a trailer mounted Field Sanitation Center on an old, stripped out MKT. Park the two end to end and you have it all for the inspectors. See the pics from the 2012 GA Rally, or stop by the VA Rally over the Labor Day weekend (I'll be there Friday and Saturday) and we can chat.

61sleepercab

I saw your article with your two MKT trailer setup. Neat setup . I will take pictures when I open up the GL surprise package MKT and see what little stuff is there.
I won on 8-12-2013 sale two field kitchen ovens with burner (no Pans) and two MBU burners . So far I am two burners short and no pans, Ovens with pans brought over $800.00 per pair. I will have to watch for pans as time goes on. Mark

thtrev2001

Steel Soldiers Supporter
SCSG-G4's field sanitation center is the perfect set up for cleaning up, unfortunately I usually don't have the option of hauling two trailers around, plus it's a lot of work for 2- 3 days of use. We did buy two more MKT's and eventually will set one up like Mikes' FSC, until then, we just use 3 bus pans and a table for washing, sanitizing and rinsing, and always keep some hot water going in one of the ovens, it's not perfect, but it does work. You can see part of that system in the third pic I posted.
Mark, go to the rally and work with Mike, I wish I had that option when we first started using our MKT, it would have saved a lot of time and frustration.

61sleepercab

I can't attend the rally as I take care of my 82 year old mother on the farm. I am gathering stuff and info as I can. I am going to send Mike a computer drive to copy his stuff.

One resource for large scale cooking would be the book "Food for Fifty" which may still be in print. My copy was my mothers when she was a Cooperative Extension Agent in 1950. Mine is the third addition (1950) which gives portions sizes and weights for units of fifty servings. You might find it used as the last time I checked on a new one it was close to$100.00 for a new one.

My fraternity house meat loaf makes a cake pan and deep steam pan full which feeds twenty college boys or thirty normal people:
Mix 5lb ground beef, 2lb ground sausage, one dozen eggs, one loaf of bread torn up, 6 to 12 onions chopped fine, One half of #10 (gallon) tomato paste,
Add salt,pepper, garlic powder and Tabasco to taste. Top with remainder of tomato paste. Bake 325 degree oven about 1-2 hours till done.

Variations Divide basic meat loaf mix in large pans
Pizza Meat loaf Add jar pizza sauce, pepperoni slices, shredded pizza cheese, and mushrooms and mild peppers diced
Fire in Hole Manly Meatloaf- add hot pepper slices as hot as you dare, extra hot sauce, and crumbled hot pepper cheese --------make sure to label this as hot !!!!!
Fancy Meatloaf add diced frozen pepper/onion stir fry mix, whole corn drained, and add some steak sauce

These are time tested meat loafs that the church and school groups like all the time. Hope you try this out on small scale first to get hang of amounts. Mark

61sleepercab

Web Pages for large scale bbq ovens,smokers

One idea for large group cooking would be a MKT trailer as serving line with a bbq oven, smoker or portable cooker on a trailer like WWI mess cookers
Some real good sites for designs, example cookers and photos are :

The Texas BBQ Forum
The Smoke Ring
Mark

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
TM 10-412 is 1600 recipes 'Food for 100', with an adjustment table to convert measures to 10, 25, 75, 150, 200 and 300 portions

Try this recipe for ChiliMac;
12 pounds elbow macaroni, cooked in two batches
four #10 cans of Chili no beans - two for each batch
one #10 can of ketchup (or two 64 oz bottles) split between the batches
32 to 48 oz of shredded cheese
combine the macaroni chili and ketchup in a large square pan for each batch
put in the oven and bake at 350 F until the mix starts bubbling
add the cheese, and when it has melted, take it out and serve!
Not everyone wants the cheese, so make one with and one without so they have a dilemma.
Supposed to feed 100, usually feeds 75 at the Rally.

61sleepercab

I will have to review the 1600 items. I used to have a disk of one Million recipes for the computer but one guys idea of good could knock a buzzard off a gut wagon for someone else.
I attended an International Chili Society chilli cook off for two different days in Charleston, West Virginia for green and red chilli bowls. I figured out real quick that some professional chili cooks idea of the perfect bowl really didn't hit my fancy. I like to try new eats when I am traveling especially local eats like BBQ.

At church I am known as the Tabasco king and have used it by the gallon to improve chow. Easy does it , Tabasco helps a lot of foods like bake beans, gravy and other stuff. Just do not ask how the three cup Tabasco Beef Brisket went over which singed the unlucky. One cup good, two cups ok, three cups break out the milk, ice cream and Tumms!!!!!
Mark

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks