• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MKT Trailer Questions

conny

Been looking for the approximate weight of a MKT-85/MKT-90 trailer without all the kitchen cooking stuff. Basic trailer with platforms, all canvas, ladders.

My wife and I are both disabled and looking for an easily transformed "tent" for camping.

Any helpful suggestions to help us out would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I just tried to find a data plate for an mkt85 or mkt90, no luck.

I don't know which one I picked up for a member here years ago, but I knew it was behind my deuce! I doubt you could strip enough weight to make it half ton truck friendly.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Not only is the tower to small, the MKT is no way easily transformed to a "tent". Just about every part that folds out is heavy and with both of you having a disability would really tax you both. My roof jacks broke and with 4 strong males it was still a challenge to get it raised. Where Gimpyrobb pointed you to the expedition portal is a place to start.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not only is the tower to small, the MKT is no way easily transformed to a "tent". Just about every part that folds out is heavy and with both of you having a disability would really tax you both. My roof jacks broke and with 4 strong males it was still a challenge to get it raised. Where Gimpyrobb pointed you to the expedition portal is a place to start.
I agree. You need four people to properly deploy and fold up an MKT. I've done it by myself (IE alone) in about 1.5 hours going each way, but I'm not physically disabled - and the ground was level. Fully loaded the MKT is 5600 pounds, empty it's still around 4000. It has air over hydraulic brakes, a way too high lunette for your probable towing vehicles to manage and will have to have fabric walls and roof on the outer walkways. Not to mention some fairly large gaps in those walkway floors that will need to be sealed against vermin for camping to be able to give you a 12 x 15 foot living space that is only usable when it is stationary. If you 'have to have' a large military trailer, a 105 series generator trailer would give you a 7.5 x 10 foot floor space that you could build your own top on, but it has the same brake system and height problems. The M116 trailers (M101 trailer frame w/generator) is lower to the ground, weighs less, has a surge brake model and not as much floorspace, but you can also design your own top to go on it.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The reason I sold my MKT is because of the difficulty setting it up. I have MS and I'd be down for a couple of days after setting it up by myself.

conny

Guys, I really appreciate your input and real life experience with the MKT models. I knew they were heavy but by your accounts, way to heavy for my wife and I to manage. Thank you all.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks