• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MKT99 Trailer Weight/towing

mdeane

Hey, all. Ive just recently purchased a M105 trailer and love it! Ive got a new obsession with military trailers. Anyways I'm looking at a MKT99 Kitchen Trailer for a camping build project. My Question is, how much does it weigh. The plate on the trailer says it weighs 1705lbs empty, but I'm guessing that may just be the frame without all the kitchen stuff attached. This one has the folding "kitchen stuff" attached. It looks like its got a similar base to the M105, so I assume the entire trailer weighs much more than 1705lbs. Any input? I tow the M105 behind my lifted V8 Land Rover no problem, but the MKT99 might be too heavy. Thanks

Digger09

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you would have a hard time stopping with that as your tow rig and it would probably fishtail quite a bit at speed

Digger09

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It would make a cool camper project so maybe with some mods to loose the weight and electric brakes it may work. I would put 1061 trailer tire rim combo on it to lower it down to if you dont change the axle set up.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pulling it isn't going to be an issue, stopping it will be. The base of a MKT is a M103 trailer. Most everything attached is aluminum but the weight adds up quickly. I hauled mine short distances with my F250 diesel but was technically illegal since I had no way to hook the brakes up. If you were to pull everything except the floor, walkways, and roof you're still likely over 4000 lbs. It might be feasible if you swapped the axle for one with electric brakes (and a bolt pattern that matched your Landy just for convenience) but it would still depend on your vehicle tow rating.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Its only an air service brake on those and they are every bit of 6000lbs when loaded. and its not exactly the most balanced load. Other than the trailer frame pretty much everything on it is aluminum and some stainless on the cooking stuff. Back when I was getting 1.30/lb for alum I was slicing up as many as I could get.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Military says 5700 with the BII on board. Stripping all the cooking stuff out will gain you at best 1800 pounds, so you are still at 3900-4000. Putting a 5000 pound axle with smaller tires to lower the whole rig down and add electric brakes should save you another 400-500 pounds (175 each for the two tires, less whatever the replacements weigh). How much weight are you planning to add as a camper? It is still a short (relative) wheelbase and may want to fishtail. Will you be keeping the canvas/vinyl sides and canopy roofs? How are you going to handle the wheel wells? A couch or beds over them? Pawleys is at worst three hours up to Lexington - come look at my rig and see if any of the ideas can be recycled on your toy!

Jolopicus

this kinda breaks my heart...

Its only an air service brake on those and they are every bit of 6000lbs when loaded. and its not exactly the most balanced load. Other than the trailer frame pretty much everything on it is aluminum and some stainless on the cooking stuff. Back when I was getting 1.30/lb for alum I was slicing up as many as I could get.

I get it... but man... that kinda breaks my heart. Those are some of the best machines the military actually sent out to the field... mostly for training, but they rocked.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Alum is only around 25c/lb now. Might as well keep it and play with it. Takes up a lot of space. Might make a neat camper if you have all the screens.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Alum is only around 25c/lb now. Might as well keep it and play with it. Takes up a lot of space. Might make a neat camper if you have all the screens.
And if you don't have all the screens, drive up from Pawleys Island. I can probably rustle up some but will need help digging them out. I will not do it by myself, there is simply too much stored in that trailer right now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks