• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mlvw finally acquired

seano11

Finally found a batch of Canadian Mlvw trucks that didn't have to be cut up.... If it wasn't for sudden urge to whizz I would never have found them. I chalk it up to destiny ❤ . Quickly made a deal on 4 trucks including one picker. The Canadian military did a good job at making sure no one could just drive them away. All fluids drained battery cables cut and brake lines cut on the front diff. And on 90% of them cut the wiring for the light switches directly behind the plug. The first truck that I hauled. Home was a breeze to get going and everything works great. We shall see how the other 3 do

Attachments

Last edited:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why does the Canadian government go to such extremes to disable their old military vehicles ?
Government liability paranoia.

After the initial batches were disabled and let go, they also branded all subsequent trucks that were released as "irrepairable," thus ensuring that the VINs could never be legally registered for road use again.

Disabling took different directions. Some have their engine blocks punctured. Others have their oil cooler removed (a stupid military-only part on the Fuel Pincher Detroit that is an absolute PITA to source). Others have stuff done as described above (those are the lucky ones, and they seem to be from the batches with unmolested titles).

It's a farce, a drama and a waste of taxpayers' money.

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting hydraulic winch on the one. Any info on that?

What Detroit/trans/final ratio do these use?

Thanks, Dennis

HDN

Government liability paranoia.

After the initial batches were disabled and let go, they also branded all subsequent trucks that were released as "irrepairable," thus ensuring that the VINs could never be legally registered for road use again.

Disabling took different directions. Some have their engine blocks punctured. Others have their oil cooler removed (a stupid military-only part on the Fuel Pincher Detroit that is an absolute PITA to source). Others have stuff done as described above (those are the lucky ones, and they seem to be from the batches with unmolested titles).

It's a farce, a drama and a waste of taxpayers' money.
This reminds me of what happened to the MUTTs here, though IIRC the government was actually sued because someone got hurt rolling one over. But wasn't the Canadian Army selling Leopard C2s awhile back? I would've loved to get a couple of those :love:

@seano11 nice score! I wouldn't mind a MLVW to go with my A3. Do the ones you bought have any rear-end corrosion I've heard about? I thought it was something with premature spring seat failure or something like that...

seano11

This reminds me of what happened to the MUTTs here, though IIRC the government was actually sued because someone got hurt rolling one over. But wasn't the Canadian Army selling Leopard C2s awhile back? I would've loved to get a couple of those :love:

@seano11 nice score! I wouldn't mind a MLVW to go with my A3. Do the ones you bought have any rear-end corrosion I've heard about? I thought it was something with premature spring seat failure or something like that...
Everyone that was at the scrap yard had very little corrosion body panel wise. And nothing on the frame. All super clean trucks

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The winch on the MLVW is a PullMaster S10 hydraulic winch, usually made in Canada, with 10t capacity. There is a guy in Saskatchewan that dismantles MLVWs and he has some for sale for about CDN $1600 , including cable.
The transmission is an Allison MT643.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks