• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MM543 boom cable length

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
TM should tell you but I can tell you this. My M108 TM called for 200' of cable. I wanted to keep from having a full drum and only put 100' on it. I'm very satisfied with that length, I've never had a situation where I wished I had more.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
200 foot on the front winch, or cable hoist Kenny? I have one wrap of cable on the cable hoist of the M108, and the block will reach the ground with a two part line, boom extended and all the way up. I would say it's around 75 ft long, haven't measured it.

543 will need more, it's got a 3 part line, and the boom extends 2 more feet. I haven't played with the Garwood cranes, so can't say what size cable.

Dennis

Elwenil

If you know what diameter wire rope you need and the dimensions of the drum, there is a very complex formula to determine the amount of rope to fit on a winch. Luckily, I found a calculator on the Ingersol Rand website that works great:

INGERSOLL-RAND Drum Capacity Estimator

It even allows you to leave a nice gap at the top of the drum to keep from overfilling it. Get the measurements, then measure how much lead you need to get to the end of the boom and however much more you want for the block and you are good to go. I just ordered a new 3/8" rope for my Braden on the front of my Ramcharger from AWDirect.com.

Attachments

grounded

Banned
im going to say about 85-90' on the boom. My M62 i put 100' on it with 3 part line and i actually hav to cut about 10' off it. the hook dont hit the ground but would like it to hang up little higher in the air (about even with pintle now).

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The TM 9-2320-209-34P calls for 200' of cable for the hoist drum on the 108. Oddly the ORD 9 SNL G-742 calls for 71 1/2' of 1/2" rope on the hoist drum. My drum has about a wrap and a half Dennis which makes your length estimate pretty close. Dunno why the 2 drastically different measurements. I can run a 2 part line, full extension and height and lay my hoist block on the ground with cable to boot. If I ever have to hoist out of a hole or the like, I have the cable. Now, accroding to the 211-10 the boom hoist on the M62 has 104' 4 1/2" of cable and the M543 has 95' 5" of cable.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can't seem to find my 809 series TMs now but the M246 calls for the same as the M62 at 104' 4 1/2"

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would say a single full wrap is what should be on there. With that you can put the hoist on the ground on a 2 part line. If you are running a extra layer, it's going to reduce your lifting(pulling) capacity some.

For the life of me, I can't see having 200 feet, or even 150 feet of cable? Even working in a hole, that's why the boom goes down...

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know for sure about a M543 but a M62 requires a 3 part line for max lift.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
543 will need more, it's got a 3 part line, and the boom extends 2 more feet. I haven't played with the Garwood cranes, so can't say what size cable.

Dennis
I did mention that before, just was think of the M108 with it's 2 part line.

hvann

Cable length

Thanks

I'm going to order 125 foot of 6X36 and I will keep you informed on how it goes. That may be too much but it a lot easier to make shorter than it is to make it longer.

Thanks again for all the responses
Van

hvann

Cable installed

Well here is the cable installation outcome. I ordered 125 foot of 1/2 X 36 cables before doing a dry run with some rope. I purchased 100 foot of 7/16 rope and installed it on the crane. It appeared that 100 foot would be the best length according to the experiment.

So before installing the cable I cut 17 feet from the 125 foot length. I wanted a little more length than the 100 foot thinking it would be eaten up by the three parting. I installed the 108 foot of cable.

As you can see in the images, I should have stuck with the 100 foot of cable. I can't get the block any closer than three feet from two blocking, because if I do I run out of drum space. This limits me on storing the block for travel.

If I get bored someday I will pull the cable back off and cut that 8 feet out of it.

Attachments

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
the 819s hoist cable with a 3 part line, will put the hook just touching the ground , boomed all the way up and extended all the way out, when all the cable is all on the drum, the drum is full with one layer

grounded

Banned
Ron do you know how many feet is on the 819? or on the front drum. My boom has cable, front dont. But i might replace my boom cable for GP.

O yea ill get new pics of the 819 tomorrow

(hijack over)

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
the front calls for 280' cant find in the -10 ,the hoist cable length

Last edited: