• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mod of the day - electric wipers

Kohburn

I'll add some more detailed photos tomorrow, but for now here is an overall shot.

I scavenged the wiper shaft from two bad air motors, combined it with a single 24v wiper motor with auto-stop.

after testing the connections in the wiper motor i was able to run external wires rather than the crude built in mechanical switch. I can now have multiple speed settings (variable voltage) and retain the auto-docking function.

all housed in a stainless steel enclosure (courtesy of recycled grill doors) along side one of my old stereos.

Yes there is more soundproofing to come, but since adding the muffler i can already have a conversation in the cab, now i'll be able to have background music.

Attachments

Kohburn

still have to get those detailed photos.

need a little wiring help though as I'm rusty on my electronics. The wiper motor functions from 24v down to 12volt. I'd like to put in a variable resister knob to slow down the wipers when it isn't raining real hard.

do I need to know the draw of the motor to be able to figure out how many Ohm's the resister need to peak at?

goldneagle

still have to get those detailed photos.

need a little wiring help though as I'm rusty on my electronics. The wiper motor functions from 24v down to 12volt. I'd like to put in a variable resister knob to slow down the wipers when it isn't raining real hard.

do I need to know the draw of the motor to be able to figure out how many Ohm's the resister need to peak at?
If you buy an electronic switch for the wipers you can get control of them the way you do in a car. Look up Cole Hersee wiper switches. They come in manual or electronic versions.

Kohburn

thanks for the tip - the variable ones are WAY too expensive (100$), but the high-low ones aren't bad.

if I knew the resistance required i could just get a seperate switch for the on-off and a potentiometer for the speed control. should ony cost a couple dollars.

EDIT---

I really am rusty on electronics. I was forgetting that reducing the voltage also reduces the torque of the motor. If i use a simple pulse width modulator then the motor gets full torque but has variable speed.

I can get a 15amp PWM kit for 20$

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks