• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mod Thread

gwag

I can't call it a build thread so we'll call it a mod thread! I bought this one at a GSA auction last september along with 4 or 5 others. It's a 37k mile 1984 M1028 with a NP208 & limited slip front diff.

I sold all the others but I kept this one as it smokes a little and has some blowby. I didn't want to sell it to someone & have it go down causing tension & hard feelings.

So nothing else to do but start modding it. If you are a purist (leave them stock) you should probably exit & move onto another thread.
First off a friend gave me an old set of rancho 4" front springs so on they went. Then I ordered up a rear shackle flip bracket from ORD and got some cheap pro comp shocks from ebay. Being a 1028 it had the high gvw overloads so I got rid of them & took 4 leaves out of the 56" rear packs leaving the main, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, & 6th (the one with the clamps) leaves and put it all back together with my ORD brackets. I gained +/- 4" on both ends. I did some fender trimming to clear 37" tires and also lowered the bumpstops 2" to keep the fronts out of the back of the inner fenders. The rear shocks had a mounting issue so I cut loose the factory shock mounts and rotated them up the axle tube and reused the stockers. This and a u bolt flip kit from ORD really cleaned up the bottom of the rear axle.
Crazy flex & smooth ride I would recommend highly unless you plan on towing then you might not want to delete those rear leaves.

I had the box off to do the rears so I bobbed 14" out behind the wheels and welded it back together. I think I took about 6" off the end of the frame and built a crossmember out of 6" I beam and mounted up the pintle hich and all the braces to. On a wheelin trip last fall I got down in a tight dry wash & broke both tail lights so I filled them in and put a couple push in oblong sealed beams in.

I had a hydraulic winch laying out back that came off a phone co truck, I think it's a 12K # winch so I made a bracket for the winch & installed it. Plumbed it between the hydro boost & steering sector, very easy & works great.

I had some 17" x 37" MT Baja claws so I got a set of 17" Allied rockathon beadlocks and mounted them up. They lasted a few trips but one had a break that kept leaking so I ebayed a new set of radial Geolander M/Ts & mounted them up, really did well in the snow this winter!

After the lift the push/pull steering was not cutting it at all so I just installed a full ORD crossover/high steer and swapped over to a 2wd steering box with a drop pitman arm. Great mod it steers both ways effortlessly now but I may add hydra assist later.

That kind of sums up where it's at now. I will eventually move my front rear shackle hangers forward 1.5" and slightly up for a better angle. I will be caging it soon also. I also have a new detroit for the front 60 that will go in someday.

I had a very capable rig to start with I only made it better for my intended purpose. Thanks to everyone on this board for your knowledge the reason I don't have much of a post count is I use the SEARCH function and have never yet had to post up a question. The search works and alot of these guys should try it before they post up a question that has been covered repeatedly.
I don't guess I have a before pic but I'm pretty sure you guys know what it looked like!

Attachments

Last edited:

IowaFamilyGuy

AWESOME!

Maybe its the old infantryman in me, but I'm not a purist, you had TA-50 for display, and then "Field" gear. I want a 1028
w/Contact Bed for the utility and duability of them, so I love that you made it "task correct". Plus the 37's are really great looking o it.

Congrats on a great build!

gwag

And a few more! Hopefully we'll get out this weekend & get some wheelin pics! Bonus pics of my M1031 I forgot about it!

Attachments

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Awesome truck. I like stock trucks, but if the need arises modification is the way to go...:grd:

gwag

Very nice gwag. That thing looks like it will go anywhere.
Very hard to stop you might say and thanks for the compliments. Most of the local people just shake their head and ask why! Nice to be understood even if it's just on the web!

gwag

you post in pirate !:beer:
Yeah I'm on pirate alot (more than here for the most part) but I don't really consider this hardcore tech. Lots of great ideas there also but when I have any electrical related CUCV issues this is where I'm searching for the answer. Always find it immediately!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your truck is very cool. Is it street legal? I have been considering taking 2 leaves out of the rear, on my 1008. Great write-up.

Good to see you find what you need, here on SS. Thanks for contributing.

gwag

Your truck is very cool. Is it street legal? I have been considering taking 2 leaves out of the rear, on my 1008. Great write-up.

Good to see you find what you need, here on SS. Thanks for contributing.
Thanks for the compliment. I've never had an issue with the local PD or HP but I have a good relationship with them. I think it would be legal except maybe the tires sticking out a little but I don't know the rule here.

I found your starter relay mod thread very easy to read & understand. I have a new one sitting on the bench ready to swap. This is the kind of knowledge I'm refering to. Today alt 2 was not charging did a search and the 3rd thread with a reply from warthog told me to check alt 2 bulb & the 24 volt fuse, both were bad problem solved in 5 minutes with parts I had on hand. Priceless!

I think you would be fine on 2 leaves if you don't do any heavy towing.

Last edited:

Boreal21

1028 looks great :beer:

I'm new to the site and I'm looking forward to gleaning a few ideas from posts like this. I've owned a 1008 in the past and am looking to pick up a 1031 in the near future so I'm sure I'll be needing info from the experienced.

I appreciate your post.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
..... Today alt 2 was not charging did a search and the 3rd thread with a reply from warthog told me to check alt 2 bulb & the 24 volt fuse, both were bad problem solved in 5 minutes with parts I had on hand. Priceless!
Glad to see someone reads my posts......I wonder sometimes......;-)

I have a couple of M1009 parts trucks that are nowhere close to original. I'm considering transplanting the Cummins 4bt that is in the garage into one and making a crawler out of it.

Just need to convince the wife......:mrgreen:

Bobbed4x4

Banned
This tread makes me drool. I've been looking at 1028's for a bit now, just don't like the full size truck for wheelin. This is perfect! I've been thinking about putting 1028 axels under a 1009... need to figure out how I'm going to fund this project though first lol.

84cucv1ton

good post i like your bobbing idea a lot. thanks for the pics by the way. this is now the fate of my 1028. its a really nice truck, but what the **** be working on it soon

gwag

good post i like your bobbing idea a lot. thanks for the pics by the way. this is now the fate of my 1028. its a really nice truck, but what the **** be working on it soon
That bob job was my first attempt ever at body work. The hardest part was getting the sides marked the same on each side so they would be even. The actual doing it was easy. About the only thing you want to be careful of is the mess & smell several coats of burning CARC paint makes when making the cuts with an abrasive blade like I did.
There is 14"s to be had between the rear bed crossmember & the next one forward. Let me know if you have any questions I'll be happy to answer any I can. Thanks!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks