• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Model DJEAM & Model DJBMA diesel engines

hogpatch

I deal in military surplus. I need help identifying the generators (or any other applications) that used the Model DJEAM & Model DJBMA diesel engines.
I recently purchased a lot with 9 new crankshafts for these engines. Anyone out there with knowledge on these engines applications?
Would greatly appreciate any help.

rustystud

I deal in military surplus. I need help identifying the generators (or any other applications) that used the Model DJEAM & Model DJBMA diesel engines.
I recently purchased a lot with 9 new crankshafts for these engines. Anyone out there with knowledge on these engines applications?
Would greatly appreciate any help.
There all "ONAN" engines. They will fit the MEP-002A and MEP-003A engines. The problem with having all those cranks is no one rebuilds their ONAN engines as it is cheaper to just buy another used generator ! Now the MEP-002A and MEP-003A generators are being phased out by the release of the newer MEP-802's and MEP-803's and the even newer MEP-831 series with the alternator instead of a generator. Less fuel and less noise. I myself own two MEP-002A units and one MEP-003A , and I want to buy a newer MEP-831 (3KW) unit. After using these older generators for years I found out I don't need all that KW for my home. I've learned to use less in an outage and thus use less fuel. In fact I haven't used my MEP-003A in years. I still start it up though. All this to say you might have problems selling your crankshafts.

Last edited:

hogpatch

Thanks Rustystud, I think those engines were also used in boats (civilian), maybe I'll have some luck that direction. I would still like to know the MEP- that had these engines.
They were used on carrier, ammunition, tracked, M992 & the M88A1 medium recovery vehicle.

rustystud

and now the new MEP1030 with the Kubota engine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr1ayc6_xeo
I'm not sure but hasn't the military gone to only using "Inverter alternator" generating units ? That means all the older style generators will soon be on the market. My old buddy was telling me this just a while back. Since the military depends on computers so much they wanted better generators providing cleaner power. Of course he could have just been feeding me some BS but I believe he was telling the truth.

I love those three cylinder Kubota engines ! They last for years !

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks