• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Model year differences

INFChief

Can anyone summarize the differences in the 1083’s by model year? I know that there are differences in engine, and engine & transmission management controls. I’m more curious about other differences. I’ve got a 2002 and am contemplating picking up a 95 through 97 model for parts. TIA

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your 1083 A1 has a C-7 cat motor the 95-97 has a 3116 cat motor not much engine wise would help you ! Maybe differentials /axles /tires/wheels your truck has alot more ecu stuff different kind of fuse type panel ! You should get a truck in your year for best parts salvage

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dropping 5k on a parts truck that will have the same aged out parts as the truck you are running seems like a questionable idea.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dropping 5k on a parts truck that will have the same aged out parts as the truck you are running seems like a questionable idea.
As oposed to getting a truck that hardly any parts will swap ? 1 motor or 1 trans gona cost more than that plus he might not have to pay anything for his spare truck by his call sign if hes a fire chief his city may get this stuff for free so my thought get what you have instead of an AO.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can anyone summarize the differences in the 1083’s by model year? I know that there are differences in engine, and engine & transmission management controls. I’m more curious about other differences. I’ve got a 2002 and am contemplating picking up a 95 through 97 model for parts. TIA
You have had 5 A1 trucks near you sale on govplanet this year from 4300 to 8500 mostly PA but 1 in CT and JERSEY you seem to be in a cheaper bidding part of the U.S. for A1s

INFChief

Your 1083 A1 has a C-7 cat motor the 95-97 has a 3116 cat motor not much engine wise would help you ! Maybe differentials /axles /tires/wheels your truck has alot more ecu stuff different kind of fuse type panel ! You should get a truck in your year for best parts salvage
Is the 3126 engine the same as the C7?

Guyfang

Staff member
People. The Military tries to keep things easy. IF there is a major change to a piece of equipment, then that equipment gets a new NSN and model number. The Military can not live with "improvements" every year. Small things can be handled by the supply system. If a part is not real dependable, and its determined that the part needs improvements, then the supply system takes over. How? Well, say the NSN 6115-00-123-4567 is very prone to failure. The next time you order that NSN, the supply system will send you an improved part, with a substitute NSN. Like 6115-01-123-7868. There may come a message out from the command that is responsible for that equipment, if is an IMPORTANT change. But if not, then the command will direct that the -24P TM be changed, with the new NSN and part number, when ever the TM is updated. But significant, or insignificant changes from year to year just do not happen.

INFChief

People. The Military tries to keep things easy. IF there is a major change to a piece of equipment, then that equipment gets a new NSN and model number. The Military can not live with "improvements" every year. Small things can be handled by the supply system. If a part is not real dependable, and its determined that the part needs improvements, then the supply system takes over. How? Well, say the NSN 6115-00-123-4567 is very prone to failure. The next time you order that NSN, the supply system will send you an improved part, with a substitute NSN. Like 6115-01-123-7868. There may come a message out from the command that is responsible for that equipment, if is an IMPORTANT change. But if not, then the command will direct that the -24P TM be changed, with the new NSN and part number, when ever the TM is updated. But significant, or insignificant changes from year to year just do not happen.
I was looking for a SME to give me a fingernail sketch on significant model and year changes.

I spent 21 years in the Army and equipment is routinely updated / upgraded without getting a new “A” designation. There are a litany of MWO’s that get applied and systems are upgraded constantly.

NSN changes are handled in a variety of ways and hard copy TM’s are the last to be updated. Hard copy Interim TM parts manuals are in the form of “Changes” (as are maintenance manuals) and naturally electronic versions are the quickest to be updated.

My question, albeit broad, was mostly regarding interchangeability in the axles, steering, body parts, brakes, suspension, & hydraulics (short list).
I realize the engine & transmission and those management controls (wiring harnesses included) go through typical weapon system / platform life cycle changes & upgrades. I didn’t want to purchase a 1995 or 1997 M1083 if most of the parts will not swap over. If 60% or better (hopefully 90% or better) of the parts haven’t changed I would be happy.

As someone mentioned above ^^^^^ it’s far more practical for me to buy a donor truck at $5 or $6K and to rebuild an axle, engine, transmission, etc., myself then to buy a new or rebuilt one.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry, “parts trucks” sitting around rotting makes no sense to me. I manage a fleet of FMTVs for my fire department and our solution to high mortality, hard to find parts is to stock them on a nice dry organized shelf. Alternator, WTEC controller, keypad, fan solenoid, air brake inversion valve, brake cans, fan clutch, hub spider gears, seals, others. Complete axles never fail. Cat and Allison parts are easily available from the local Cat dealer and Allison dealer.
And to answer your original question, numerous significant changes happened to the FMTVs in 1998, 2002, 2003, 2006, and later. Transmissions, engines, electrical systems.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks