• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Modern Russian Army in the photos.

USSR

Yes, absolutely, GREAT pics:

- The Sukhoi and Hind shots especially

Just like the Russian vids (top class productions), it seems like Russians have an eye (in general) for the "artful" shot.
Shooting stars are paving the way
Thunders are harnessing steeds
But o’er the land there peacefully reign
Monasteries
And above the grey-headed clouds
Blue is a falcon’s sky home
Here, under this heaven dome,
Here, we were born

Deer tracks are licked by the frost
Driving the prey all day over
But cold is curbed village-wide
By chimney smoke
Blizzard drifted high snow dunes
She’s Winter’s dazzling white child
Here, in the midst of the snows,
Here we grew up

We’re being sapped by the Horde
And by the infidels tried
But our veins geyser with
Our Slavic Skies
And from Lake Chudskoye banks
To stone-iced Kolyma
All this is our native land
All this is us

Overseas they’re sharpening an ax
Daredevils’ heads to abridge
But alien-borns hear chain-armored clang
Of Russian speech
And from birch-tree groves to the stars
There looms the great White Array
Here, on this land, our lives
Down we’ll lay.

We’re being sapped by the Horde
And by the infidels tried
But our veins geyser with
Our Slavic Skies
And from Lake Chudskoye banks
To stone-iced Kolyma
All this is our native land
All this is us

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 790915 Here in the States this is an Elite Vodka. Everyone likes a little Stoli.
I can't even begin to tell you how terrible Stoli is once you've had real Russian vodka. My wife is Russian and my in-laws bring a few bottles every time they come, not to mention when I was there we had a different bottle every night! To say real Russian vodka it is smooth is doing it a disservice. I have mentioned to USSR my favorite previously. I'll spell it phonetically...BRU-INK-AH. It is distilled through birch tree berries, although it has no flavor specifically (don't think it tastes sweet because of the berries...it does not). I also like RED ARMY in the black and red artillery shell bottle. Then, there is Putin's label, or at least the one produced for him...PUTINKA, I think. There was another interesting vodka I had that was brown, although I did not like that as much.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't even begin to tell you how terrible Stoli is once you've had real Russian vodka. My wife is Russian and my in-laws bring a few bottles every time they come, not to mention when I was there we had a different bottle every night! To say real Russian vodka it is smooth is doing it a disservice. I have mentioned to USSR my favorite previously. I'll spell it phonetically...BRU-INK-AH. It is distilled through birch tree berries, although it has no flavor specifically (don't think it tastes sweet because of the berries...it does not). I also like RED ARMY in the black and red artillery shell bottle. Then, there is Putin's label, or at least the one produced for him...PUTINKA, I think. There was another interesting vodka I had that was brown, although I did not like that as much.
That's often the way it is, I can remember back years ago, the only Vodka you could get here in the States was Smirnoff Vodka. Part of Seagram's I think. Then after the Cold War ended folks would come back from Eastern Europe, Finland, or Russia and tell us how good the Vodka was over there compared to Smirnoff. But a lot of those good small batch distillers products never make it here, just the large corporate products like Stolichnaya. So you think that's as good as it gets. Now Red Army Vodka, that sounds like it's worth a try.

Last edited:

USSR

На Бруньках. (On birch buds)

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
USSR, I miss the Zil. I hear they are out of production and the factory is closed? :cry:

Last edited:

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cruiser Aurora October Revolution.jpg Not a sailing ship. This is the Armored Cruiser Aurora, the deck gun on the bow fired the first shot that started the October Revolution. The Aurora is one of the oldest steel hulled ships in the world, and she is now a Museum.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Nice picture - first two ships in that list were originally German. The last is Russian built and the fastest sailing ship in the world.
Thanks for the ID's, NY Tom!

That "fastest" comment needs to be qualified:

- The Russian ship noted is likely the fastest barquentine-rigged sailing ship in the world

Because THE fastest sailing ship in the world has to be one of the new America-Class racing yachts, check these out:

https://www.cnn.com/videos/sports/2...-zealand-american-magic-spt-intl-lon-orig.cnn

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the ID's, NY Tom!

That "fastest" comment needs to be qualified:

- The Russian ship noted is likely the fastest barquentine-rigged sailing ship in the world

Because THE fastest sailing ship in the world has to be one of the new America-Class racing yachts, check these out:

https://www.cnn.com/videos/sports/2...-zealand-american-magic-spt-intl-lon-orig.cnn
Is that a true "ship" Ahab? Me, being a "ground pounder" don't know much about maritime definitions......=)

Another Ahab

Is that a true "ship" Ahab? Me, being a "ground pounder" don't know much about maritime definitions......=)
Yeah, you got me on that one, marchplumber.

I looked it up:

"2 or more full length decks above the waterline = a ship. Thats why submarines are called boats regardless of how huge they are - only 1 deck above the waterline. A boat becomes a ship, when it carries boats."

Sorry, USSR, for the drift.

Now, back to our regular programming!

USSR

Yeah, you got me on that one, marchplumber.

I looked it up:

"2 or more full length decks above the waterline = a ship. Thats why submarines are called boats regardless of how huge they are - only 1 deck above the waterline. A boat becomes a ship, when it carries boats."

Sorry, USSR, for the drift.

Now, back to our regular programming!
hKWwtC6qycY.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks