• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Modern Russian Army in the photos.

GoldComet6

Here is the Sukhoi Su-30....

It is an enhanced and very upgraded version of the original Su-27 - notice the small canards for example.

These are formidable aircraft with excellent air frame performance and very capable weapons & avionics systems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkgwa5HU6i4

There is also the Su-34 variant. It is really quite a different aircraft.

If my memory serves me right the extended tail cone houses a rearward radar system, along with other sensors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYRKtihmY0U

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Here is the Sukhoi Su-30....
It is an enhanced and very upgraded version of the original Su-27 - notice the small canards for example.
There is also the Su-34 variant. It is really quite a different aircraft.
I'm thinking that designing aircraft around a human being (i.e., a "pilot"), is just handicapping the aircraft's performance.

Take out the cockpit, the gauges, all of the life-support systems and I'm guessing you can significantly increase the machine's efficiency. Anybody out there know anything about that?

It reminds me of people still talking about cavalry on the eve of WWI, and the birth of mechanized armor. Time will tell.

GoldComet6

I'm thinking that designing aircraft around a human being (i.e., a "pilot"), is just handicapping the aircraft's performance.

Take out the cockpit, the gauges, all of the life-support systems and I'm guessing you can significantly increase the machine's efficiency. Anybody out there know anything about that?

It reminds me of people still talking about cavalry on the eve of WWI, and the birth of mechanized armor. Time will tell.
Absolutely correct. Remove the pilot and you can make the aircraft simpler, save weight and carry more weapons/fuel, worry less about g loads and cut costs, etc. Also there is no worry about captured pilots. I have read that some are already saying the current F-35 will be the last new manned fighter aircraft designed for the US military. The airframe can do more than the pilot can take in some cases.

Of course the same was said 50 to 60+ years ago about air to air missiles replacing guns and the coming end of aerial dog fighting. Plus ICBM based nuclear missiles were supposed to mean the end of all conventional forces. Neither of those happened, but I'm sure more armed drones will mean fewer manned aircraft.

I guess the same goes for land based armor too - no crew in an MBT would change the design completely.

To tie in line with the theme of this thread...
Not sure how the Russian military will handle these changes. Don't think they are that capable in drones - or at least they keep the details about them very very quiet. Perhaps they will prefer to continue with manned aircraft and armor anyway. Their new line of land vehicles indicate they plan on using similar manned systems for the next 20 -30 years anyway. The new Su-50 shows they are still planning on manned fighters for the same period. At least that is the plan - we'll see how many are built an put into service first.

After that who knows.

Attachments

Last edited:

GoldComet6

Thanks GoldComet6 for sharing!! Great videos! Please keep sharing what ya find!
Thanks...

Just trying to keep the thread going until USSR returns. Hate to see it end, as I have enjoyed seeing the pics he's posted.

Plus I'd think he'd appreciate the fact that we didn't forget about him & his thread.

Attachments

GoldComet6

S-350E Vityaz Air Defense System

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La3J-6fKOAk

The S-350E Vityaz (knight) is a short-to-mid range air defense missile system. It was developed by Almaz-Antey company as a replacement for the ageing S-300PS, which was developed back in the early 1980s. Development commenced in 2007. The S-350E was first demonstrated in 2013. Production of this air defense system is expected to start in 2015.

Design of this air defense system is broadly similar to the South Korean KM-SAM Chun Koong. It is worth noting that Almaz-Antey participated in development of this South Korean SAM system. It is claimed that the S-350E Vityaz is more capable than the South Korean system.

It is expected to enter service with the Russian armed forces in 2016. At this stage Russian MoD plans to buy 30 of these SAM systems. It will replace older variants of the S-300. Russians plan to scrap about 50 of the S-300PS systems by 2015 due to their age.

The Vityaz TEL vehicle carries 12 vertical-launch missiles. The S-350 uses the same medium-range missiles as the recent
S-400 that is being deployed in Russia. It is a variant of the 9M96 active radar-homing interceptor missile. This missile is designed for direct impact. It is similar to the US Patriot PAC-3 design and is intended to provide point defense against precision attacks and defense suppression weapons. Its claimed kill probability is 90% against aircraft and 70% against Harpoon missile. The S-350 can also launch a short-range missile which is likely a variant of the 9M100. This air defense system can engage targets within ranges from 30 to 120 km.

The S-350E system also has advanced phased-array radar and a new mobile command post. If required a number of vehicles can be linked together to form a battery. A typical battery consists of command post can, two radars and control 8 TEL vehicles. Vityaz SAM system can operate autonomously or alongside other air defense systems. It can stop and launch its missiles within 5 minutes from travelling.

This air defense system can engage 12 to 16 targets simultaneously, including aircraft and ballistic missiles. Command post can target up to 32 missiles on various targets at once.

The TEL vehicle has a crew of three. It is based on a BAZ-6909 special wheeled chassis with 8x8 configuration. Radar and command post are carried by BAZ-69092 with 6x6 configuration.

Attachments

Last edited:

Another Ahab

S-350E Vityaz Air Defense System

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La3J-6fKOAk

The S-350E system also has advanced phased-array radar and a new mobile command post. If required a number of vehicles can be linked together to form a battery. A typical battery consists of command post can, two radars and control 8 TEL vehicles. Vityaz SAM system can operate autonomously or alongside other air defense systems.
It can stop and launch its missiles within 5 minutes from travelling.

I don't know missile systems, but that sounds like one fast response time right there.

GoldComet6

Don't speak or read the Russian language - but in this video Putin tours the factory where the units are made.

Pretty simple plant....doesn't seem very high tech. Just ignore what is obvious propaganda or skip it and you'll enjoy seeing one of their latest military systems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvDYHFMZ608

Another one that is similar - shows the unit test firing. Makes me think of the Patriot system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JCWPmB5FqU

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Top Gun Over Moscow.

The Nova tv show on PBS covering the Russian aircraft and pilots.
I thought I'd check out the video for a minute or three (i have a short attention span for videos):

- I was glued through the ENTIRE program, 53 minutes.

I surprised myself. Thanks, GoldComet.:driver:

GoldComet6

MiG-21s...

While not a front line aircraft of Russia anymore, they are still in service around the world. These appear to be in service with the Czech Air Force when this was recorded. I believe they operate the Swedish JAS-39 Gripen now.

In the video you see the pre-flight checks from the cockpit and then aircraft taking off and flying. Plus you see test firing the 23mm cannon and then unloading it...which is interesting to see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsF4WBNXl0s

Last edited:

Another Ahab

MiG-21s...

While not a front line aircraft of Russia anymore, they are still in service around the world. These appear to be in service with the Czech Air Force when this was recorded. I believe they operate the Swedish JAS-39 Gripen now.
I think it might be an Eastern European/ post Soviet-era thing, but I get a kick out of the ground crew dressed informally, in over-alls, and what almost likes like a jogging suit.

And the the solid heavy-duty look of the cockpit gives one the impression that the thing is a tank that just happens to fly.

GoldComet6

A Documentary video from Russian TV on the T-14 Armata MBT...it's about 45 minutes and of course in Russian.

Not sure if these will ever really be produced in large numbers like the T-72 & T-90, but it is interesting to see more of it now that they are talking about exporting them.

The leading TV channel “Star” Alexei Egorov got the unique opportunity to see the behavior of the new off-road, sit inside the tank to learn about the secrets of the armor, its engine, and to see firsthand how the T-14 fires! You'll note that some areas in the plant, they blur some parts of the tank while under construction.

Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCGdvMkDlVc

Last edited:

Another Ahab

A Documentary video from Russian TV on the T-14 Armata MBT...it's about 45 minutes and of course in Russi
I am not a Russian speaker, but it's an excellent quality video; kept my rapt attention for 6 minutes (all the time I could give it right now), quick pace and state-of-the-art editing.

If anybody got through the whole thing and thinks something there was worth the effort, please post that (and I'll be sure and find time to check it out).

GoldComet6

Su-17s of the Polish Air Force.

This is the swing wing version of the Sukhoi Su-7 - but in reality it is a very different aircraft.

The Su-7 was fast and agile, but had a reputation for being able to carry either weapons (dumb bombs or unguided rockets) OR fuel, but not both at the same time. They were notoriously short-legged when operating over Sinai in Egyptian service in late 60s & early 70s. The addition of the swing wings and many other changes made it into a very useful fighter-bomber.

The swing wing Su-17 (export versions are aka Su-22) was a much better aircraft for ground attack as it has a longer range plus could carry a much larger weapon load. These are still in limited service around the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krtQyvXimqw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF99RlzaPuU

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks