• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Modern Russian Army in the photos.

Another Ahab

Might just be the selections you are posting, but the Russian videos always rank top notch. I mean their quality (camera angles, editing, pacing, everything), is always the best.

GoldComet6

Might just be the selections you are posting, but the Russian videos always rank top notch. I mean their quality (camera angles, editing, pacing, everything), is always the best.

Funny you mentioned that, as I had wondered who this "Ruptly" is anyway. Based on my limited searching - they are a news agency from Berlin Germany.

I am assuming (which is risky) that they get the videos from someone (ground crew in this case?) and then post them as "news".

There are other videos of actual Russian air combat operations over Syria, but I decided not to post them here. I don't think they fit the spirit of this thread and web site.

Yes i do post only what I think is best in quality and what others would enjoy seeing. Anything that shows Russian aircraft, army trucks or tanks gets consideration.

Another Ahab

Good stuff!

Part of the amazing story of the Russian response to Hitler's Barbarossa (the 1941 invasion) was how the Russians literally packed up their manufacturing factories (lock, stock, and barrel) and shipped them by rail out of reach of the invading German Wehrmacht; then un-packed them and put them hard to work. it was phenomenal.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good stuff!

Part of the amazing story of the Russian response to Hitler's Barbarossa (the 1941 invasion) was how the Russians literally packed up their manufacturing factories (lock, stock, and barrel) and shipped them by rail out of reach of the invading German Wehrmacht; then un-packed them and put them hard to work. it was phenomenal.
Something about "Necessity being the Mother of all Invention"...............Do what ya gotta do.....................a great thing to remember about the Russian people. They be some tough S.O.B's...gotta give 'em credit. So is quite a bit of their equipment, not fancy, but highly practical.

Another Ahab

Something about "Necessity being the Mother of all Invention"...............Do what ya gotta do.....................a great thing to remember about the Russian people. They be some tough S.O.B's...gotta give 'em credit. So is quite a bit of their equipment, not fancy, but highly practical.
A lot of what-ifs in history, and none of them really useful, BUT:

- If Hitler hadn't made his blunder into Russia

- And also if the invasion hadn't been delayed in bailing out Mussolini like it was

Then we likely never would have gotten that toe-hold on Normandy. The Russians got us there.

GoldComet6

Good stuff! Part of the amazing story of the Russian response to Hitler's Barbarossa (the 1941 invasion) was how the Russians literally packed up their manufacturing factories (lock, stock, and barrel) and shipped them by rail out of reach of the invading German Wehrmacht; then un-packed them and put them hard to work. it was phenomenal.
Yep - truly impressive for such a huge task. Guess what Stalin wanted....Stalin got!

I have read before that the Germans took some captured early T-34s back to Germany. They were so impressed with it's performance that they even considered building a copy. They encountered problems in copying the aluminium diesel engine and other parts though. Of course they took many things from the T-34s and incorporated them into their own later designs. The sloped armor, large road wheels and a large caliber gun overhanging the chassis were features that influenced later German designs (esp the Panther).

One last note: I have even read the Germans quickly decided that they would not build a simple T-34 copy, as it was such a rough and crudely built tank. It would not pass their quality control inspections! That's what I have read anyway.

Another Ahab

Yep - truly impressive for such a huge task. Guess what Stalin wanted....Stalin got!
Stalin was almost as horrible for the Russians as Hitler was, but it was lucky he was the S.O.B. that he was considering the S.O.B. that was Adolf Hitler.

If you're in the market for a good read, try "Stalingrad" by Antony Beevor. It's an eye-opener.

GoldComet6

I'd agree with that!

Some describe Russian aircraft like MiGs as being not fancy at all and maybe a bit crude in some places but certainly fast. They then say most Western designs are built very nice inside and out. Every area is finished to perfection - even if you never see it or it does not affect performance.

They just make the point that Russian designers view things very differently from the Western nations. Meaning they build fighting machines designed to rigidly utilitarian standards that don't seem important or just don't apply in the West.

Plus these same standards can apply to a tank, rifle ship or missile system.

Another Ahab

One last note: I have even read the Germans quickly decided that they would not build a simple T-34 copy, as it was such a rough and crudely built tank. It would not pass their quality control inspections! That's what I have read anyway.
It's probably true. But what the Russian manufacturing lacked in Quality Control it more than made-up in volume, and that just overwhelmed the German war machine. I don't know the numbers but if I remember right, towards the war's end the Russians were pumping out tanks like they were water.

USSR

So I have to ask, after your vacation.....what good Russian equipment do you have to share with us????

I will try to show new products.
Your country was the first in military spending. I am a year on the war and the ability to assault the American boots - it's something))) is very good, though heavy in weight)))

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks