• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Modern Russian Army in the photos.

saddamsnightmare

June 1st, 2016.

Another Ahab:

Are you sure the IL-2's is it? I would bet that the C130 has as many or more variants and flying survivors as it is the longest running military production aircraft so far........

Oops, time to break out the humble pie, though the C-130 has been in production continuously since 1954, Comrades..... Though out of all the IL-2's built, how is it that only one is flying, and with a replacement engine (of a different type)? I guess the comrades did not build for length of service, eh?:D

Last edited:

Another Ahab

June 1st, 2016.
Another Ahab:
Are you sure the IL-2's is it? I would bet that the C130 has as many or more variants and flying survivors as it is the longest running military production aircraft so far........
Here's the detail (Wikipedia), and I think it's documented:

With 36,183 examples of the Il-2 produced during the war, and in combination with its successor, the
Ilyushin Il-10, a total of 42,330[SUP][4][/SUP] were built, making it the single most produced military aircraft design in aviation history, as well as one of the most produced piloted aircraft in history along with the American postwar civilian Cessna 172 and the Soviet Union's own then-contemporary Polikarpov Po-2 Kukuruznik multipurpose biplane, itself sometimes seen side-by-side with the big armored Ilyushin monoplane on the front lines.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

This is unusual; check this out:

North Korean
forces used the Po-2 in a similar role during the Korean War. A significant number of Po-2s were fielded by the Korean People's Air Force, inflicting serious damage during night raids on United Nations bases.[SUP][9][/SUP] During one such attack, a lone Po-2 attacked Pyongyang airfield in northwestern Korea. Concentrating on the 8th Fighter-Bomber Group's parking ramp, the Po-2 dropped a string of fragmentation bombs squarely across the group's lineup of P-51 Mustangs. Eleven Mustangs were damaged, three so badly that they were destroyed when Pyongyang was abandoned several days later.

UN forces named the Po-2's nighttime appearance Bedcheck Charlie and had great difficulty in shooting it down — even though night fighters had radar as standard equipment in the 1950s, the wood-and-fabric-construction of the Po-2 gave only a minimal radar echo, making it hard for an opposing fighter pilot to acquire his target. As Korean war U.S. veteran Leo Fournier remarked about "Bedcheck Charlie" in his memoirs: "... no one could get at him. He just flew too low and too slow." On 16 June 1953, a USMCAD-4 from VMC-1 piloted by Major George H. Linnemeier and CWO Vernon S. Kramer shot down a Soviet-built Polikarpov Po-2 biplane, the only documented Skyraider air victory of the war. The Po-2 is also the only biplane, who credited a documented jet-kill as one Lockheed F-94 Starfire was lost while slowing down to 110 mph – below its stall speed – during an intercept in order to engage the low flying Po-2.[SUP][11][/SUP]

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is unusual; check this out:

North Korean
forces used the Po-2 in a similar role during the Korean War. A significant number of Po-2s were fielded by the Korean People's Air Force, inflicting serious damage during night raids on United Nations bases.[SUP][9][/SUP] During one such attack, a lone Po-2 attacked Pyongyang airfield in northwestern Korea. Concentrating on the 8th Fighter-Bomber Group's parking ramp, the Po-2 dropped a string of fragmentation bombs squarely across the group's lineup of P-51 Mustangs. Eleven Mustangs were damaged, three so badly that they were destroyed when Pyongyang was abandoned several days later.

UN forces named the Po-2's nighttime appearance Bedcheck Charlie and had great difficulty in shooting it down — even though night fighters had radar as standard equipment in the 1950s, the wood-and-fabric-construction of the Po-2 gave only a minimal radar echo, making it hard for an opposing fighter pilot to acquire his target. As Korean war U.S. veteran Leo Fournier remarked about "Bedcheck Charlie" in his memoirs: "... no one could get at him. He just flew too low and too slow." On 16 June 1953, a USMCAD-4 from VMC-1 piloted by Major George H. Linnemeier and CWO Vernon S. Kramer shot down a Soviet-built Polikarpov Po-2 biplane, the only documented Skyraider air victory of the war. The Po-2 is also the only biplane, who credited a documented jet-kill as one Lockheed F-94 Starfire was lost while slowing down to 110 mph – below its stall speed – during an intercept in order to engage the low flying Po-2.[SUP][11][/SUP]

How would that be a "confirmed kill" because the pilot dropped below stall speed? Wouldn't that mean you could get a confirmed kill if the opponent ran out of fuel????? NOW, back to the original content of this thread...............................LOL

Another Ahab

How would that be a "confirmed kill" because the pilot dropped below stall speed? Wouldn't that mean you could get a confirmed kill if the opponent ran out of fuel????? NOW, back to the original content of this thread...............................LOL
I admit, you got me there:

- We got to check the Rules of Engagement I guess.

saddamsnightmare

June 2nd, 2016.

I guess low and slow beats fast and jet.... I guess the pilot could claim the destruction of the F-94 if they were involved in combat when the U.S. pilot stalled and crashed.

Al Harvey

That is cool. I've always found the pontoon bridges cool. We used a few of them in Iraq when the main bridges were down. Thanks for sharing that one USSR!!!!

Another Ahab

That is cool. I've always found the pontoon bridges cool. We used a few of them in Iraq when the main bridges were down. Thanks for sharing that one USSR!!!!
That system is slick.

How is it anchored against the current" I didn't notice how that was done. I saw how that nosed it into straight alignment with the service boats, but didn't see how it was
"locked" against the current. Anybody know how that's typical done; a string of anchors of some kind I guess, right?

USSR

That system is slick.

How is it anchored against the current" I didn't notice how that was done. I saw how that nosed it into straight alignment with the service boats, but didn't see how it was
"locked" against the current. Anybody know how that's typical done; a string of anchors of some kind I guess, right?

The equipment PMP Floating Bridge PPP-84 includes towing a boat.
On land the boat carried as river units on vehicles KrAZ-260, having a platform and equipping of river units. Launching and serve on the car is made similarly to the descent and ascent of river and shore units.

pps-84-03.jpg

Another Ahab

Well, yeah; I know what you're getting at.

The Soviets were good at spying and weren't embarrassed to take advantage of that. And an open society like ours made that easier for them; it's a trade-off you might say.

But there seems to be plenty of original stuff in the mix, also.

USSR

Well, yeah; I know what you're getting at.

The Soviets were good at spying and weren't embarrassed to take advantage of that. And an open society like ours made that easier for them; it's a trade-off you might say.

But there seems to be plenty of original stuff in the mix, also.
Myasischev - outstanding creator aircraft.
He made the world's first jet bomber.
https://youtu.be/MJC3LY_OHjI

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks