• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Modern Russian Army in the photos.

USSR

What's curious here, USSR, are the resources dedicated to robotics modeled here on the human form.

For a nation that might have pioneered weaponizing politics, that seems restrictive conventional ("inside-the-box") thinking.

It's like a silent black-and-white film in an age of digitized "sensurround" THX special-effect movies.

A robotic platform based on biological forms like spiders or crabs would seem more successful and cost-effective, based alone on issues of balance, center-of-gravity, and mobility. Is this robot-man the only robot form being researched?
Of course not. There are other options, including combat robotic modules.

B3.3T

I could see a major benefit from the "Man" version. This robot appears to designed to directly replace a human in different situations. From welding a pipe, closing a valve, or driving a vehicle. If you go with the other designs, you have to design your other equipment around the robot. This design means you can send the robot in to do any job a man would be able to do. Think about fixing a pipe inside a nuclear reactor, driving a vehicle into a zone with fall out, or sending them into a sinking ship to close flooding doors. Just some things that come to mind for me. But the coolest was the dual wielding Glocks. LOL
This is exactly correct. If the robot is to interface anywhere a human might be, it is logical and essential. But equally important to consider is application; the human is the "Swiss Army knife" of creatures. Physically, we don't do any one thing the best, but we do far more. We can climb, monkeys can't run far or fast. We can swim, run, crawl, climb, carry weight, use tools. Human form is adaptable.

Another Ahab

I could see a major benefit from the "Man" version. This robot appears to designed to directly replace a human in different situations. From welding a pipe, closing a valve, or driving a vehicle. If you go with the other designs, you have to design your other equipment around the robot. This design means you can send the robot in to do any job a man would be able to do. Think about fixing a pipe inside a nuclear reactor, driving a vehicle into a zone with fall out, or sending them into a sinking ship to close flooding doors. Just some things that come to mind for me. But the coolest was the dual wielding Glocks. LOL
Of course not. There are other options, including combat robotic modules.
This is exactly correct. If the robot is to interface anywhere a human might be, it is logical and essential. But equally important to consider is application; the human is the "Swiss Army knife" of creatures. Physically, we don't do any one thing the best, but we do far more. We can climb, monkeys can't run far or fast. We can swim, run, crawl, climb, carry weight, use tools. Human form is adaptable.
You all just might be right. Maybe we ARE the most clever that's out there.

Maybe we're even a little too clever. So clever that we might just annihilate ourselves, and with no outside help.

Maybe in the next few days.

Or even the next few hours. It's possible. The machinery is there already, staged and in-place.

Who's to say?
Man. Should I even bother putting out the garbage tonight? :burn::naner:

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You all just might be right. Maybe we ARE the most clever that's out there.

Maybe we're even a little too clever. So clever that we might just annihilate ourselves, and with no outside help.

Maybe in the next few days.

Or even the next few hours. It's possible. The machinery is there already, staged and in-place.

Who's to say?
Man. Should I even bother putting out the garbage tonight? :burn::naner:
Yeah, take it out......

Garbage makes for a filthy house.......

It'll go exactly as HE has it planned........

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hope HE'S not having a bad day today...

Just in case, I'll wait on the garbage until later this evening.....
That's why, "preparation" is the key, then ones future is secure! (Note, speak to Chappy if in doubt)

Well, at least tie up the bags so the odor doesn't pervade the house.......

LMBO

99nouns

Yeah imagine getting an 8 legged spider bot into a drivers seat...

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
0103958.jpg575b029d2cd88_BIGTu-114.JPG.1a35ff8b2f6dfee10a3ea7dbd60d26b2.jpgtu114_08.jpg My favorite Russian aircraft is the Tupolev TU-114. It's the airliner cousin of the Tu-95 Bear. In 1959 it was an engineering marvel. The Kuznetsov turbo prop engines produced 15,000shp. each, and top speed was comparable to a 707 or DC8, and it was the worlds largest airliner until the 747. In the early 70s Aeroflot and Japan Airlines used the TU-114 on a nonstop Moscow to Tokyo service, that was quite a haul back then.

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just to clarify, the word Aero flot has that rolling smiley because of the letters r o f l . I found out when I researched a Toro flow. Toroflow. Nobody is making fun of Aeroflot.

Another Ahab

:funny:

I know you didn't mean to crack any kind of joke, plowboy. Because we like our buddy, USSR, of course.

But you're trapped by your keyboard, and even though you didn't mean it, your post is funny!

Last edited:

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The way she sits tall (to clear those props), is a treat. [thumbzup]
Tupolev_Tu-114_Cleat_CCCP-L5611_(9873564156).jpg This is the famous TU-114 Ship 1 that flew Krustschev to New York for his famous shoe banging visit to the UN. She has been on display since 1972 at an aviation museum in Monino Russia. Hate to think what 45 years of Russian winters has done to the airframe.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just to clarify, the word Aero flot has that rolling smiley because of the letters r o f l . I found out when I researched a Toro flow. Toroflow. Nobody is making fun of Aeroflot.
Thanks m1010plowboy. Had me fooled. I figured it was a glitch or something. Well now that that's solved I think I'll sit down and have one!:beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks