• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Modernized/Upgraded Axle/Suspension?

Dasgog

Hello

I was looking to start doing some conversions to my 1972 M35A2. I understand hat it has is very nice and legit but I want to make it a more versatile vehicle. Going to make a fabricated back shell with solar, water etc but I want to make it to where I can become more accessible, or should I say, make terrain more accessible.
I don't to say "i don't want to learn and i just want to pay for stuff to be fixed" but I am no mechanic, I don't know a lot of the hows and ways to do stuff. I was wondering if there were any upgrades/mods for the axles and what not for more independent suspension. Something off a newer model or vehicle altogether. Not sure what all is interchangeable, I.E a Humvee axle/suspension conversion. Or, what at a junkyard would have something? With that, I would also like to have disc brakes, dual circuit at least brakes.
I have seen the vdeos and how to's "drill out the rivets, flip this, bend this etc" I just don;t have that know how or tools or skillset.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hello

I was looking to start doing some conversions to my 1972 M35A2. I understand hat it has is very nice and legit but I want to make it a more versatile vehicle. Going to make a fabricated back shell with solar, water etc but I want to make it to where I can become more accessible, or should I say, make terrain more accessible.
I don't to say "i don't want to learn and i just want to pay for stuff to be fixed" but I am no mechanic, I don't know a lot of the hows and ways to do stuff. I was wondering if there were any upgrades/mods for the axles and what not for more independent suspension. Something off a newer model or vehicle altogether. Not sure what all is interchangeable, I.E a Humvee axle/suspension conversion. Or, what at a junkyard would have something? With that, I would also like to have disc brakes, dual circuit at least brakes.
I have seen the vdeos and how to's "drill out the rivets, flip this, bend this etc" I just don;t have that know how or tools or skillset.
Hi @Dasgog .

Welcome to the Outfit!

Okay, so I have turned wrenches in days gone by so I may have a little head start on you. I still turn my own wrenches today on my Green Machines. The TM's (Technical Manuals) that are posted here on the site were written for the 18, 19, 20 year old youngsters that maintain these vehicles for the military. There are Flow Charts to follow to solve electrical and mechanical problems. This site is a great place to get pointers on what to do and how to get started.

Everybody has an opinion, but if I were you I might get my truck "in ship shape" before you start making changes to the axles and transmission. Get it to the point that you can jump in had hit the starter and it should crank - and you can go for a cruise around the neighborhood reliably.

No radio or hacking up the wiring system to add LEDs, just make it work well and reliably. Then by the time you have done that, you can do some "hot rodding" or lighting upgrades. That way, you will have learned if things are NORMAL when you add something.

Maybe some of the other guys can chime in with suggestions on how to get started... There are several active members here out in Arizona. You might even find a group that sponsors a truck show out there to meet and greet some of the folks...

rustystud

Totally agree with "Mullaney" here. Work on your truck as it is now. Drive it out in the desert and see how it handles. After you play with it for a while you will then have a better idea of what you want to modify or replace or just leave alone. The military spent a fortune on designing this truck. It works pretty good for most applications as is, so after playing with it you might just say it works good enough.
Of course, you also might say let's tear it apart and start from scratch. Just wait a while before you do is all I say.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I put 395”s on MRAP wheels on my deuce. They have bead locks. The truck off-roads excellent, at least in sand and rocky terrain. I air down to 20 - 30 psi, depending on the terrain and load. A locker in one or both rear axles would be nice but I have yet to get the truck stuck. I do have years of experience in a multitude of vehicles, off-reading in desert terrain.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Of course, in my neck of the woods with plenty of soft ground (either wet earth or sand) I can get stuck more quickly than saying "Don't you f#$% get stuck!!!"

Not being able to grab any solid ground is usually what does it in. Once it is sunk, it is pretty much game over. I agree that airing down the radials is essential. Otherwise, they dig a grave much more quickly.

The fact that the single axle front end is loaded almost to capacity in a stock, empty w/w truck, and the tandem rears have very little weight on them does not help.

I don't know whether suspension changs would really help; articulation is pretty amazing for the size of the truck. 3 selectable air lockers and 6 sets of tire chains would be on my list if I were super serious about off road capability.

V8srfun

These trucks articulate exceptionally well for their size and weight. I agree with all statements above. Get it in the best condition possible then upgrade the tires to singles, buy chains, learn the importance of tire pressure for the surface you are on. With all of that you will be able to go places most would be afraid to go.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks