• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Modernizing the MEP-002A

rustystud

Does anyone remember Craig A Tull's post on "civilizing the MEP-002A" ? Well I want to do it but I cannot get ahold of Craig. The post was good but left out a few things. I was wondering if anyone tried what he did and how did it work out ? The reason I'm asking is on one of my MEP-002A units the "reconnection switch" (phase selection switch) is totally fried. Some of the screws came loose and shorted out all over the place, basically welding half the contacts together. So if I have to replace the switch why not just get rid of all the extra wiring I don't need. I only use this unit for home power (120/240 volt single phase). I'm pretty good at basic wiring (home and automotive) but some of this transistor stuff can get over my head. I can follow a wiring diagram and change out components but when it comes to making my own changes, well I cannot guarantee the results ! So can some of you electronic guru's lend me a hand and help fill in the gaps Craig left out in his post ? Thanks.

dangier

Rusty-I think you may want to ohm the windings before you put any money into that one. These things are robust, but if the contacts have "welded" themselves, you might have issues in the gen head. I have a 003 with a Washington National Guard reset that I have been thinking about doing the same thing. Lot of parts missing and control box damaged. Would like to install a commercial regulator and update everything just keeping the motor, genny, and skid. Good luck with yours.
David

See post above-excellent work!

Last edited:

rustystud

Rusty-I think you may want to ohm the windings before you put any money into that one. These things are robust, but if the contacts have "welded" themselves, you might have issues in the gen head. I have a 003 with a Washington National Guard reset that I have been thinking about doing the same thing. Lot of parts missing and control box damaged. Would like to install a commercial regulator and update everything just keeping the motor, genny, and skid. Good luck with yours.
David

See post above-excellent work!
The generator itself is fine. It's just that these units vibrate so hard that if your not careful and check all the connections on a regular basis your bound to have things come loose. The screws had loosened up and then shorted out.
What I would like to know is, what can I safely remove from the AC output box that is NOT needed for just 120/240 single phase use.
Thanks.

dangier

The experts will be along shortly, but I would think you can remove anything that is not associated with the 120/240 circuit and connect the genny leads directly to the breaker. Just trace each wire and might need to add a terminal bloc for proper genny lead connection. If you pick the digital gauge set advertised by an online member, you can remove more stuff.
YMMV

Isaac-1

One note there is you would probably need a new output breaker since these do not work as conventional breakers and rely on the CT coils for operation.

If you were to gut a MEP-002a / MEP-003a (remove all the function from the control box and the connection box) That would leave several functions that would need to be replaced. Off Hand that would mean:

New output breaker
New AVR (not sure what I would pick here, I do like the SX-460 clones, but would have to check the field resistance range and output amps)
New engine control system, there are a number of options ranging from Deep Sea imports off ebay, a GSCM-mini, or maybe even a Flight Systems 540 Universal controller if money were no object.
Instrumentation, how fancy or how basic is up to you, there are some all in one volts / amps / frequency / hours combo meters at reasonable prices to consider.

rustystud

One note there is you would probably need a new output breaker since these do not work as conventional breakers and rely on the CT coils for operation.

If you were to gut a MEP-002a / MEP-003a (remove all the function from the control box and the connection box) That would leave several functions that would need to be replaced. Off Hand that would mean:

New output breaker
New AVR (not sure what I would pick here, I do like the SX-460 clones, but would have to check the field resistance range and output amps)
New engine control system, there are a number of options ranging from Deep Sea imports off ebay, a GSCM-mini, or maybe even a Flight Systems 540 Universal controller if money were no object.
Instrumentation, how fancy or how basic is up to you, there are some all in one volts / amps / frequency / hours combo meters at reasonable prices to consider.
Thanks Isaac, I did not know about the circuit breakers. I was planning on keeping all the control panel circuits if possible. I know I will have to change the amp and frequency meter. I was hoping to use the one in the classifieds.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks