• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Modify and build my m998

TOM R

Hatch is aligned best we can get it,moved the driver sponson back 1/4" ,slotted the pass side rear pin forward some and adjusted both rear springs far as they would go to the pass side

Seems to be within 1/16" left right but still seems a tad twisted so idk

Got the dash rifle mounts installed20210320_172557.jpg

TOM R

I used 1/8" steel ,couldn't get the same thickness local as the sponsons right now

I left about a 3)4" gap at the top and the verticle part goes back on an angle towards the pipe where it's welded

TOM R

Got these on today, 3m tape was nfg so used boat adhesive, the armored grille sides need washers behind them to take up gap

And you need to cut out a spot the armor grille side panels as shown to allow for clearance 20210428_093024.jpg

Wipe the hood and panel with laquer thinner first, hoods rigid now, also used that to fix a crack

Use an acid brush if you need to smooth the adhesive and wear disposable gloves

Laquer thinner will wipe off the excess20210428_113055.jpg20210428_092740.jpg20210428_184506.jpg

Reactions: OBX

TOM R

well we did do the local memorial day parade and took her to put out flags on graves with the vfw and my sons BSA troop

the project has been put on a side burner while i do other more pressing things, BUT I have the turrett bearing support drawn up and have the aluminum sitting here to build it, the new aluminum welding machine i ordered is on back order till next month sometime anyway

Crapgame

Link to cross bar video on my YouTube channel.
I'm aware of that milled aluminum barstock AMG Part#06001702 B Pillar side impact reinforcement. Some of the 180 GMVs (Ground Mobility Vehicles-SOCOM Gun Trucks) sold out of Letterkenny Army Depot had their B Pillar side impact bars altered similar to your MWO drawing. They were trimmed back to about 1" thick then a stamped C shaped aluminum piece was set into the remaining impact bar then welded in place. I don't know the specific reason, if to allow more space for the armored seat systems used by SOCOM or whatever.

Tom R: Do you happen to have that AMG factory drawing scanned? The reference points for the GMV alteration is about the point of the Twist Lock Fastener holes in the side impact bar. Your camera work showing the side impact tube inside, that 0.25" thick reinforcement plate inside looks to be specifically for the cargo retention D Rings that bolt through the 1/2" holes at that point.

Note: the photos of the original AMG Part are not my pics, they were posted years ago in an older discussion about altering the side impact bar.
AMG B-Pillar Milled Crossbar1.jpgAMG B Pillar Milled Crossbar Part Label.jpgAMG B Pillar Milled Crossbar2.jpgB Pillar Reshaped1.jpegB Pillar Reshaped2.jpegB Pillar Reshaped3.jpeg

Last edited:

TOM R

So here is where I'm at with the turret / weapons tray im building from aluminum

I have a 10xx one but I want something that won't rust and maybe won't leak

1/4" plate with 1/4" x 1/2" wide reinforcement on 3 sides

I'm using the heavy milled weapons adapter and a w&e Platt brand hatch that I believe is armored and has a nice seal

I also cut a reinforcement ring for inside the turret for strength under the hatch 1/4" aluminum

I have a self contained w&e Platt turret here that gave me the inspiration for the shape ( unfortunately it's to heavy and too small for home in humvee)

I went with that shape because I plan to make a coupola for parades and displays from 1/4" aluminum and this will be a good platform, I just need to finilize where I want the hatch and cut the hole, all this aluminum work I'm using a aluminum mig welder and a pilot arc type plasma cutter
20220119_133315.jpg20220119_160130.jpg20220119_180212.jpg20220113_141319.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks