• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Modifying and customizing MEP ASK

sewerzuk

I have had this MEP-004a sitting in my shop now for about 6 months; it was the last of a large batch I bought at Ft. Lewis. I used it as a test bed for single phase re wiring and other modifications.
Now that I'm mostly done with the mods, I decided to move it out of my shop. However...it was missing both "doghouses." These aren't necessary for generator operation, but they do silence airflow and engine noise, and, more importantly to me, keep water out of the control panel and exhaust system. Because I live in the NW, water can be a big issue...so I decided to make some new ones!
I've never liked having to open and close the lids on the OE doghouses, so I decided to make mine solid and install vents on the sides. I was initially going to make them out of steel, but I have had this sheet of 1/8" aluminium sitting up against my shop wall for years so I decided to use that instead! The obvious benefit to the aluminum is that I didn't have to paint them to prevent rust/corrosion. But, it looks pretty good, too.
I do have access to a large brake, but I didn't have enough aluminum to do the entire project in one piece. In fact, I had to scrounge up some diamond tread "lids" to finish it off. So, each piece is cut and TIG welded together. Almost 38 feet of TIG welds! I'm not a pro welder...but I do have a fair amount of time logged with the ole welding helmet on. It has been about a year since I TIGed any aluminum together, but it only took a few inches to get back into the rhythm.
For the exhaust, I just extended it about 20" and bolted a 2-1/2" rain cap on top.
For the vents, I found these neat aluminum vents that I just flush mounted into the sides of the enclosure. I figured that one on each side (4 total) would allow for adequate airflow...but I'll put it under heavy load for a few hours and check engine and cabinet temps just to make sure. If things get too warm, I have room to mount a total of 8 more (4 intake and 4 exhaust).
Even though these panels are not sound-insulated, I don't notice any difference in sound levels when compared to a factory ASK. And, now I can put an auto-start setup on this gen without figuring out how to bolt some actuators on the lids...

Attachments

kurtkds

I picked up one of the 400hz machines probably during that same event. I like the idea of a solid top on the dog house since the piano hinges don't keep the water out of the generator. I'm thinking of adding a rubber strip on the exterior of the hinge to help keep the rain out.

I ended up converting mine to a mep004 prior to the holidays.

sewerzuk

Nice work on the Gen and your 1 Phase MOD.

You don't by chance have any spare parts do you. Need a cable that hooks to the J10 on the Special Relay Box.
Pretty sure we already spoke about that one! But, just in case I'm confusing you with another conversation, yep, I do have a few spare parts, but I do not have that cable. [thumbzup]

Beautiful work!
Thanks!

I picked up one of the 400hz machines probably during that same event. I like the idea of a solid top on the dog house since the piano hinges don't keep the water out of the generator. I'm thinking of adding a rubber strip on the exterior of the hinge to help keep the rain out.

I ended up converting mine to a mep004 prior to the holidays.
I've never liked that "doghouse" design; always figured there must be a better way of doing things. I guess they must have done that to try to keep dust and sand out of the machines...but, based on a few that I got, it didn't work!
I WAS actually going to use some kind of electric linear actuator on one with an auto start...but this really works out better.

Glad to hear you were able to do the conversion! I have yet to attempt that; I have only purchased 400hz sets with the intention of using their parts to repair "mostly" working 60hz sets.

PeterD

One bit of advice, from someone with Hummers (which have both aluminum and steel in the body) is that steel becomes sacrificial (rusts) when used with aluminum. You must either carefully electrically isolate the aluminum from the steel, or find other ways to protect the steel or you will end up with the steel quickly rusting out because of galvanic action. We've been fighting this problem with the steel roofs on the Hummers (the Hummer body is all aluminum but the roof is steel) where the roof will rust out very quickly. [thumbzup]

That said, those are some really great pieces of work! Love them, and if I ever decide to make my 004 auto-start I'll do something similar too... Very professional--but we expect that from you.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks