• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

More efficient Deuce..?

tamangel

I almost hesitate to ask this ':roll:' as I figure those who wish to keep their rigs as stock as possible will be in an uproar..but here goes..

I'm curious what mods are available or have proven themselves, to make the deuce more efficient and a better runner and stop-er? Different turbo's, better brakes, different electrical systems, mods to stock transmissions, differentials, etc.. I like the basic unit but am curious what else has been shown to work better than stock... I like the multi-fuel idea and when purchased would like to make it a better, more efficient running rig..':)'

..or is there such a beast...?

Mike

rmgill

1100x20 tires allow higher speeds or good sustained speeds at lower rpms.
Front lockout hubs allow the front wheels to spin and not spin the axle
A rear lockout hub and half shaft allow you to unlock the rear axles.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As far as efficiency, might be tough. Getting a 13,000# vehicle to get much better than the 10 or so MPG it gets could be a tall order.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
i always add hyd power steering and dual air over hyd brakes. these seem to me to be short comings in the original truck. being able to steer when stopped easily and having a brake system that will make the tires sing if needed makes it a lot less tiring to drive. also a change to radial tires makes it ride better.

FreightTrain

Banned
considering your these are 13000Lb truck with 6.72 gears it is amazing enough they get 10MPG.A 7000lb Pickup with a diesel only gets 15-20MPG with 4.11 gears and much better aerodynamics.The major factor with milage these trucks have is the 6.72 gears.The engine is screaming at highway speeds.I am sure you could get 1 maybe 2 MPG more though porting,Polishing,custom intake manifold,etc but it would take a monsterous amout of work for must a tiny increase.Larger tires is about the best modification you can do.Gives you better road speed,less RPM,if you go super singles,actually loweres the trucks weight some(Less weight better mileage especially rotating mass)

tamangel

Thanks for the input guys. I'm more concerned with engine/drivetrain reliability and smooth running than show-ready glitz... I realize mileage will be limited with that size ,weight and on/off road capability and I would want to keep the stock look..Just curious what innovations that people have come up with or have entertained re: 'a better running deuce'...

Mike

Westech

CPL
could put in a 24v fan, that would save a coule HP and the front lock out and rear lock out seam to be a big help also. I knwo when I turned up my pump a bit it helpped a touch also.

jwaller

I would have suggested the fan thing but Jtonka has experimented with his fan setup and it doesn't look like it will keep the motor cool on a full size deuce with load. it barely keeps his bobbed unloaded deuce cool. turning up the pump will defiantly help.

JasonS

Why not develop faster rear gears? Someone here said that Timken/ Rockwell developed a set of faster gears so it can be done. Just need someone to pony up for the NRE...

jwaller

it would be nice but so would a new truck. with the mileage that we all put on these trucks the benefits do not outweigh the cost, which would be very substantial.

JasonS

Hard to say what the cost would be. Helical gears would be much easier and cheaper to produce than hypoid gears. Maybe, higher gears would justify more useage...

If I had show a ROI to justify my hobbies, I'd have no hobbies.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Te biggest increase in milage for me was to SLOW DOWN! There was a 3mpg increase by running 45 instead of 55

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
Lot of good suggestions above. I could offer a few more.
Make sure it is well maintained.
Correct air pressure in tires, or the max allowed.
Adjusted brakes so they don't drag.
Drive smoothly,avoid braking.
A working thermostat.
Quality lubes.
Remove extra weight.
Reduce idling time.
Remove unneeded driveshafts and axles.
Install radial tires rated for 100psi (make sure rims can take it)
Air-O-Matic Power Steering has very little parasitic loss.
Add a turbo if there isn't one.
Increase manifold pressure if there is (w/ IP). This has many benefits, like burning fuel that might otherwise be wasted. Any excess air [added to the chamber] will not burn but gets heated none the less, expands, pushing the pistons harder. Increased manifold pressure provides some additional power as it pushes on pistons during the intake stroke.

Point the exhaust outlet toward the rear?
Fly a spinnaker? LOL. JimK

tamangel

seats...?

Anyone ever install different seats for better drive comfort on long hauls? Cab insulation..? Stock heater/defroster vs commercial offerings? Wipers..? other in cab stuff...?