• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

More info wanted, M149

gunboy1656

I had stopped at a local air museum last weekend to ask if someone had a Daniels AF8 wire crimper, I cant see paying the price they are asking to do 7 wires on the back of my deuce.

While there showing of my deuce, I was shown a couple trailers sitting outside, an M105 and an M149. Both are supposedly for sale, the one guy gave me the number to the owner. Well today I called, and yes both are for sale. Since I am out of money my dad said if you can get them "cheap" enough then let him know. And yes they are within the budget my dad set. So it looks like I am getting a couple trailers.

Ok, now my questions. what are the differences in the M149's and M107. I know the M107 is a stainless steel tank, the M149 is a fiberglass. Is there anything wrong with the fiberglass tank? Is it true you need a CDL to tow this trailer, due to the fact it carries 400 gal of water? I am not real Particular for keeping it, is there anyone looking for one?

Pics will be coming later.......

papercu

The M149 Series had their own type trailer. M149 and M149A1 had fiberglass tanks M149A2 has the Stainless Steel tank.
M107 was on the M103 frame and had Aluminum tanks. Wayne

Last edited:

papercu

I don't know of anything wrong with any (I wouldn't want to drink out of any if I didn't have to) but the military went from Aluminum to fiberglass to Stainless if that tells you anything. Wayne

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
the 149A2 is a Stainless Steel tank, "wrapped" in fiberglass and insulation. And Uncle Sam spec'ed out some HIGH quaility insulation, as we kept water ice cold for a few days with them in the blistering Texas heat in July.
Also, I would tow it one of two ways. Either completely empty, or completely full. Not anywhere in between.. When your rolling down the road with an unbaffled tank semi full (or empty of water), the water sloshes BIGTIME... I saw a 1/2 full buffalo turn a M113A2 in it's side do to sloshing.. No Kidding.

Last edited:

gunboy1656

I am not sure right now as to which version trailer this is, can only see it from a distance. Monday I hope to get a better look.

emmando thanks for the tip, I know that much about the unbafffled tanks to know to tow them full or empty, we always towed our empty unless we were doing our 2 weeks. I personally never towed one myself, as I had a HMMWV to drive everywhere. I know unloaded its just another trailer. that would be a sight to see an M113 flopped over due to the buffalo. I saw an FMTV toppled by a buffalo.

gunboy1656

Does anyone have a pic showing the difference between the M149 and M149a1. I know the M149a2 has a round tank, but the other 2 have the odd shaped tank. so i am looking for those pics to see what is unique between them. The TM does not show any differences as far as I could see.

papercu

The M107 have internal baffles.
One easy way to tell the difference is the location of the manhole, the M149 is located at the rear while the M107 is in the middle. Wayne

Last edited:

aboonski

I just won two water buffalos over in Altoona Florida from a GSA auction this evening. No idea what type they are but need them for fire control over where I live. We have no fire hydrants anywhere near our house so I am planning to hook a strong gas driven pump to the water buffalo to use in the event of a brush or forest fire. If one of them is stainless I will use it for potable water. Here's a photo of one of them - no telling what kind of shape they are in.

Attachments

aboonski

That's okay Setoyota, I just put more peas in the pot. I have wanted one of these ever since I filled my first canteen from a water buffalo when I was deployed to the "back yard" at Homestead AFB back in the early 80's. The water we have in our area is pure #@&T! I have a well and we have to treat the water big time in order to use it just to wash the cat! I might just haul water home from Cocoa Florida where they are supposed to have the best drinking water in Brevard County. Getting ready for hurricne season early this year as well.

aboonski

Just returned from Altoona Florida after retrieving one of the two water buffalos that I won in that GSA auction - turns out that both have stainless steel tanks. I took the worst of the two home today and will go back on Monday for the other one. The trip was uneventful and I cruised at 60 mph with the trailer in tow. The landing gear on these is pretty neat too - it cranks up and down; unfortunately the pintle on my M1008 is too low to benefit from that feature so we had to manually raise and lower the trailer into the open pintle in order to raise the landig gear for travel. Nice people up there by the way! Here are a few photos. The first one is of the other trailer that I still have to retrieve. That one is really nice but needs a good pressure washing!

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks