• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

More jobs for the Deuce/The last Roundup

jollyroger

These are some pictures of "Major Payne" hauling three 1500 lb. hay bales while hearding cattle and llamas. We were forced to sell the creek last summer and this is the last time we will have animals in the creek. 75 years of pasturing in that creek for this family......You all would be suprised what local governments and the general public are willing to do when they WANT something from you. I will leave it at that. Please note in some of the pictures there are houses right on my fenceline. I was not happy about it when they were built. Not because we would have neighbors but because I know the problems that would be coming. Everyone has to have a place to live. We get that. But it should not be at the expense of our lives......I'm sorry. I'm just a little bitter over the situation.:cry:

Attachments

Nonotagain

You all would be suprised what local governments and the general public are willing to do when they WANT something from you. I will leave it at that. Please note in some of the pictures there are houses right on my fenceline. I was not happy about it when they were built. Not because we would have neighbors but because I know the problems that would be coming. Everyone has to have a place to live. We get that. But it should not be at the expense of our lives......I'm sorry. I'm just a little bitter over the situation.:cry:
No I would not be surprised at what government would do to take property for the citizens.

My grand parents owned 4,000 acres in Harford County MD that became the airfield for Aberdeen Proving Grounds. My great grandmother and great grandfather purchased the land when they immigrated from Germany. They raised hogs, dairy cows and chickens. Within three years of the government inquiring about purchasing the land, the hogs developed swine flu and had to be destroyed, the cows developed TB. The financial loss was in the ten of thousands in 1920's dollars.

Sorry that you are have to go thru this ordeal. Be strong.

roscoe

Great pics. I love to see the deuce at work. Its funny how people want to move into rural areas and then complain about rural life. I bought as much land as I could afford next door to a nature preserve on a gravel road. So hopfully no subdivisions for a while.

XM 2742

I( am on family land that goes back 150 plus years and had to fight the "bullet train" several years ago. WE WON and had a 36 square mile area dclared a rural historical district. The latest round of train and highway BS was just defeated.....it was a close call.

I defended my country once and will not pick up a gun again unless ANYONE trys to take my property.

The "don't tread on me flag" is folded and ready to unfurl if the need arises.

jollyroger

I am sorry again for being upset about this. Thank you all for your understanding.

We have been in this valley since 1896. This farm is the last family farm we have left in the valley. In fact we are the only farmers left here.You have to go 10 miles up the valley before you run into another family farm and they are suffering the same fate. The 1896 homestead was taken by the Army Corps of Engineers for a flood control project in 1950. OK. We get it. the greater good was to protect the citizens of Denver from disaster. However that did not give them the right to threaten people with financial ruin if they did not "cooperate" in order to achieve that goal. 10 years later it is a State park and a huge revenue generator for the State.

Anyway, it is tough for me to see my mom cry as a chapter in our lives is closing. I am just hopeful we can make some moves and find a farm somewhere else.

I hope you all don't get me wrong. I am not against the greater good and I am not against city folks. What I am against is that this country is not operating on the live and let live idea that our founding fathers created.

:soapbox: Again I am sorry that I am bitter about this and so now I will step off the soap box. Please enjoy the pics I have posted. I will put some more up when I have them downloaded.

jollyroger

I forgot. I have not hauled any animals in the deuce.....yet. Just gear into hunting camp and hay and toys for the toys for tots program. When I do haul some animals I will post the pics. :grin:

jollyroger

I wish you the best of luck jollyroger.
Thank you. We will make it. Things just suck right now. It's nothing the family has not gone through before. The problem is this is the homeplace for us. This is where I learned how to drive. This where I learned how to shoot. This where I learned how to hunt. When I walk around the place I know that my great grand parrents walked the same path. That is the part I will miss.

TIGERFANS2

So, you still have some of the property just not the creek? I'm asking because it looks like a great site for a rock or country concert. Or a pig farm. Pig farms are nice in the summer.

todds112

This kind of thing makes me sick! Urban sprawl. Someone builds a cookie cutter housing devleopment next to a farm that's been there for generations, then complain about dust, smells, noise, etc.

Here they build mutli-million dollar homes next to ranches then complain because the rancher is riding his noisy ATV along the fence in the middle of the day. I kid you not.

Bastages.:evil:

PorscheTech911

Good luck Jolly, hopefully someday there will be a big reservation for people like us :roll: the gov't doesn't care who they hurt with this kinda thing. Just like the native americans before. I hope things turn out better for you and your family finds happiness.

XM 2742

Be angry.and keep telling your story. This country was built on the rights of the INDIVIDUAL and not the common good. Yes we need roads............but we are not economic cogs in a wheel. You have been screwed...............YELL about it.

Your property has been stolen by the government entity that forced you to sell........................................SHAME.

Farmun

Development in rural areas is gonna happen. No way around it. But as citizens in these areas, we should help and encourage our leaders to make those decisions that are in the best interest for the masses.

Several years ago, our community came together to persuade one of the landowners that a rock quarry would not be welcome. The identified land was adjacent to our family farm. For several months, it got pretty nasty, and culminated in a Town Hall meeting at the fire hall, with about 200 of our most vocal citizens, local politicians, and our State Rep. I think they got the message, as nothing else has been done to get a quarry approved. But we are still keeping our eyes and ears open.

rizzo

Development in rural areas is gonna happen. No way around it. But as citizens in these areas, we should help and encourage our leaders to make those decisions that are in the best interest for the masses.

Several years ago, our community came together to persuade one of the landowners that a rock quarry would not be welcome. The identified land was adjacent to our family farm. For several months, it got pretty nasty, and culminated in a Town Hall meeting at the fire hall, with about 200 of our most vocal citizens, local politicians, and our State Rep. I think they got the message, as nothing else has been done to get a quarry approved. But we are still keeping our eyes and ears open.
hey great Job! you stopped someone from doing what they want on their property. Why don't you bring your friends over to my place and stop me from doing whatever I want on my property too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks