• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

More pic's of our XM818W/W

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: More pic

Whoo Hoo! I am going down to pick up my M818 in March and can't wait to get it looking like yours. It is the same model with the winch and level winder Are you getting good milage out of it while bobtailing? My son and I have over a thousand miles to put on it to get it home so it should be a great adventure for us and I hope to have it ready for them to bring to Aberdeen this May even though dad will still be in Korea. The truck looks great out there in the dunes and it is impressive but it would knock my socks off if you were pulling an M127 up that hill.

Thanks for posting these great shots

David, it really does'nt do very well in the sand. i did not take the time to air it down. the sand pics were where we stopped for a break on a trail ride i and did'nt feel like sitting still. i only made it to the top one time but it did'nt matter. and i even tried reverse. could have made it every time if i let it chatter but i hate that. needed singles or chains or air down. as far as MPG i get around 8 on the road. prob could get better but every now and then i like laying down a smoke screen and bringing a yellow flame out the stack. remember the fuel is not at the stock setting. XM819 with the 16's on it now thats a different story. Thank you for the compliments on the ole girl. she has a long way to go but that dont stop me from using her. heres one how she looked for the first year i had er.

Attachments

alphadeltaromeo

DaveP - I love the pics of your 818. Quite frankly, I think the black backside, bumper, rims and mirrors (I'm sure there are other things) look fantastic! The black really puts a nice contrast to the green and actually highlights/emphasizes the green very, very well. I'm inspired by it, so thanks for sharing!

David/Army - I can tell that you're excited about getting yours hehe (I have one in my sights too...just waiting for funds)! If your son bales on you going to get yours...holla my way...would be a kick in the pants.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial

David
Did you put the levelwind on your truck from a wrecker? That is a great attachment to the five ton winch. I hope I can get 8 or better on our trip that will make getting home a little better on the pocketbook. You do have a great looking truck.

Thanks David. actually i added the winch and relateded items first. the level wind is not the correct one. but it does work. with out the winder the winch loves to eat the cable off between the horizontal fairlead and the fairlead frame. the bridge truck winch that i just aquired has some guides. almost the same as what i made to fix this problem. they bolt in where the tensioner mounts. so my idea was not original, but someone else thinks like i do. poor soul.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I would love to outfit a tractor with super singles as big as I could fit on it but that will require me to get a promotion to pay for them...I can see why the Russians often mounted duals on the front axle in the steppes outside of Moscow in WW II looking at the depth of the front tires in the sand I would say that at least getting supers on the front would be a great improvement. I have seen this on many dump trucks in the civilian market

Rattlehead

DaveP said:
rizzo said:
dave are you going to put bigger tires on?
Kevin, probably not on this one. this is the tractor that i use to pull the M131A4 , the M127 , The M146 and such. bigger tires would only make the 5th wheel height even worse than it is now.
Dave,

How much problem would I have pulling a deuce tractor-designed trailer such as an M146, or a civy trailer with the 14x20's on the M932? I'm still trailerless :( Someday when the $ is available. One step at a time; can't believe I'm already this deep in the hobby as it is!

As far as driving in sand, yeah you can get some MAJOR wheel hop in short order. Gotta back off the pedal when that happens, unless you are fearless, like OpieNoTool. (remembering the downpour 11pm night trail ride sand hill climb at Grayling 2006). Ed's M37 made it up there, as well as Opie, wheel hopping all the way!. My deuce and DaveP's tractor didn't make it, but we backed off when they would start the wheel hop. I don't wanna break stuff that far from home!

Trouble is when you back off the throttle in a sandy hill climb, you almost immediately come to a stop. Sometimes you can put the trans AND t/case in low, and crawl your way out of it and up the hill in tortoise mode, and sometimes that doesn't work either.

I can pull my M146 with the 5 ton. looks a little funny but it works. did you see it hooked up at the trail ride? you could allways put bigger tires on one to help with the difference in height. as far as wheel hopping i wont do it unless it's a have to situation.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
When I pulled the M127 home with my homemade M200A1 dolly convertor it looked a little funny with the dolly and the duece sporting 9.00 X20's and the trailer wearing 11.00 X 20's but it towed nicely and made highway speed on I 95. I am really looking forward to hooking it up to the M818 I haven't towed a trailer with an M818 since I was a second lieutenant in the 104th Transportation Company.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus said:
When I pulled the M127 home with my homemade M200A1 dolly convertor it looked a little funny with the dolly and the duece sporting 9.00 X20's and the trailer wearing 11.00 X 20's but it towed nicely and made highway speed on I 95. I am really looking forward to hooking it up to the M818 I haven't towed a trailer with an M818 since I was a second lieutenant in the 104th Transportation Company.
I dont know how long ago that was but Does this mean that your going to need practice? i have a set of doubles here you can play with. :lol: with your M127 recovery you were just makeing it areodynamic! gathering (i think i have all of it) stuff right now to put a pintle on the rear of the M127.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks