• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

more speed?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
FEW more things about a higher speed to think about
1---speed rating on the tires
2---heat buildup in the tires, hubs ( grease hubs hold the heat)
3---how YOU will feel when you hurt/kill someone because of making this decision
4---how YOU will feel when someone you LOVE/is CLOSE is hurt/killed because of this decision made by someone else

Last edited:

rickf

They are also single circut so if any part fails they all fail.
This is probably one of the best points ever brought up. Most people under the age of 60 do not remember when single circuit brakes were common. Everybody now a days just figures if I lose one I will have something left. AIN"T HAPPENING!!!
If you blow a line you got nothing. So now you grab the parking brake and lock up the driveshafts. Wait till you see the effect of that! Open diffs, one wheel spins forward and the other side will spin backwards depending on available traction.

Just sayin,

Rick

quickfarms

How did they convert the newer dueces to dual circuit master cylinder?

It seems like the dueces with the direct trans can do 50 mph and the ones with the overdrive trans can do 60 mph

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
heck when I drove Jims LOADED deuce to Wi, it did 50+ except STEEP grades, it was not turned up and on 900s and a VERY well maintained deuce.
You know Ron, we should have weighed it; I am curious what it weighed with all the tools/parts in it. It does go pretty good-bone stock.:beer:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
You know Ron, we should have weighed it; I am curious what it weighed with all the tools/parts in it. It does go pretty good-bone stock.:beer:
plus 2 complete motors, and everything but a flower stand ( no room)

Loco_Hosa

I wrote up a decent collection of info on this topic, I will quote myself and hopefully you can find it helpful. The original post can be found here: HERE

Loco_Hosa said:
Hi guys, my buddy and I are going to be working on our m35a2's and we were curious as to what turbocharger can replace the stock one, if the injectors could be honed, intercooler fabed for it, modify the headbolts(ones that will handle higher level of boost) how to turn up the fuel pump. I am curious as to how much boost the stock turbocharger puts out, how much it can handle. How much boost will the stock headbolts can handle. These deuces will be operating on diesel fuel only. I am trying to get a feel for what can be done to increase the power output of these LDT 465 motors. Please give me any information you can, Im a cummins guy, ive never worked on these motors nor do i have much knowledge on the performance of them. Thanks alot!!
Alrght. I will spout back what I have read. My truck is stock, so this is only what I have read. When you add that new inspection port to your engine (You know, the one you didnt want) dont start going round saying "Well Loco said I could" I will simply laugh at you.

I know, your excited, but this truck is not ever going to be fast with its current engine. All you can hope for is less slow. Also, the "Modification and Hotrodding" forum is a good place for these questions. :)

Searching inter-cooler will net you DAYS of reading material.

Your questions, with short answers:
what turbocharger can replace the stock one? This has not been covered much. The general opinion I have read is that the stock ones are more than sufficient, but there are gains to be had by adding one with a waist-gate. This can be obtained from some of the LDS engines (5 ton multifuels)

Can the injectors be honed? The way I understand anything can be honed. Oh! you mean can it do any good? It COULD. The stock injectors may be either the single or double port design. You have to remove them to find out. These do not inject a mist, they inject a stream. This results in less power but helps it be less picky with fuels.

intercooler fabed for it? Silly question. You asked if you CAN fab an inter-cooler. I dont know if you can. I know I CAN fabricate up an inter-cooler for a non turbo Chevy if I wanted to, it just wont do any good. For putting one on the Deuce, the intake is heated with engine coolant, so the question of how much good an Inter-cooler will do comes up. Wreckerman just did a thread with some awesome info about this, you should search, "Threads started by Wreckerman" and do some reading. :)

how to turn up the fuel pump. Wow. I was a noob once, (Kind of still am) and I guess I didn't use the search as much as I should have, but this question is kind of asinine. Im not just being a dick, but when you enter the Deuce forum, its a sticky-ed thread, at the top, first one you see. This the most frequently asked question on the entire forum. "How to turn up the fuel, with pictures!"

Im not trying to be a jerk, Im not, but we have answered this question 1,000,000,000 times.

how much boost the stock turbocharger puts out, how much it can handle. How much boost will the stock headbolts can handle. The most boost I have seen used in my reading was around 25psi.

Alright, here is some of Loco's knowledge. Your thinking of this engine like a Cummins. The cummins is an INCREDIBLE engine. The block and lower end are INSANE, able to handle around 450hp without modification. It was (As I understand) an engine that was used on marine applications with water to air inter-coolers and put 400hp out comfortably. It was de-tuned for the trucks. That makes it great for going butt humping FAST.

The LDT is not a cummins. It will never be a cummins. If you treat it like one, your going to snap a rod, or if you avoid that then the block will actually come apart near cyl #6. Your best bet if you want Cummins performance? Put a cummins in it. Fits well, and is an awesome improvement.

Now, what other members have done to get some power from these engines. You start with a pyro and boost gauge. Next, we bump the fuel up till the EGTs reach about 1100. Not fast enough? Then time to add a water injection system. The good news now? Your faster, and still multi-fuel!

Your still going to top out at 56mph, so lets throw some 395 series tires on it, (46 inch tall) and/or an overdrive kit. Either of these options will cost approximately $1500.

You are still unhappy with your performance, you want more. You could now loose one of your rear axles, and shorten the bed. You are now 3000lbs lighter, and much peppier. You can try to add a thicker head gasket, or whatever blah blah blah, or just send your LDT to me and buy a cummins for it. Now, your FAST.

I would be NEGLIGENT to not post some stuff about this out dated braking system, so allow me to quote what I told another gentlemen yesterday.

tire size = mph?

I have experienced brake failure on my own Deuce, and THANK GOD I was in a parking lot. Still terrifying.

Im not however saying you should not do as your considering. An overdrive kit and 395s sounds like 1/2 of a GREAT plan, and should put you right around that 65mph/2200rpm sweet point you want. I suggest that you try with just the tires or just the OD kit first, and see if you think you will find the other to be necessary or if 62mph feels good enough to you.

Now lets look at 2/2 of this plan. First step I would suggest is for ever $10 you put towards speed, you put AT LEAST $5 towards stopping. There are a few dirrection to go on this. You can upgrade to 6 wheel disk brakes, which is a big and awesome job. Bit pricey, and involves getting calipers off an F450 or something. OR build a second (Backup) braking system. This could be in the nature of an exhaust brake, or some kind of pinion brake.

Keep in mind, you are taking the lives of everyone else on the freeway into your hands. That is no reason to not do it, and not enjoy your own truck though. We all just want our hobbies protected. We can best to do that by taking care of our members and everyone on the streets around our members.

The main point they want to get across is that you need to check your brake fluid daily, and twice a year remove all six brake drums, thoroughly inspecting any rubber component. When they fail, the entire world seems to speed up, and life gets scary.

I aint done the math, but loading a deuce with 10,000lbs of payload (its surface street load rating) would put a lot more strain on the brakes (I would think) than than tires that are a bit taller and 10 additional MPH.

Sidebar for all you Nay-sayers. Yes, this MAY increase the load on his brakes, but didnt we have a member on here DIE on the freeway because the rest of the traffic didnt realize he was doing 50? Thats not a "it could happen" that DID happen. Its dangerous to do 45-50 on public freeways also.
I hope that you find this to answer some of your questions. :)

dburt

If you cannot live with the built-in design limits of the MVs, then it's time for another hobby. You can make small tweaks to the truck and gain small amounts of performance, or spend some real money and upgrade brakes, overdrive transmission, turn up the fuel pump, etc. Or maby just learn to live with an antiquated design and appreciate it for what it is. The best advice is to make sure all filters are new, the fuel tank is clean all the way to the bottom, the brakes are adjusted so they are not dragging, the tire pressure is up to specs, ie: all the good regular maintance is done! Another option is to lesson rolling resistance by putting on radial tires, even 1100X20s will help boost the final drive ratio a bit for more top speed on the flats. I kept my deuce up to specs, I had radial tires on the front for better ride and steering control and running empty on the flats it would go 55mph. Without power steering to help in the event of a front tire blowout, it seemed plenty fast enough for what the truck was designed and built for, and within the limits of the stock brake system.
There is an old saying- "Just because you can does not always mean you should!"

Varyag

It is really hard to suggest to anyone to push a deuce to go much fast then 56. If I was to do any of these mods it would be more for getting a reasonable distance from redline when at 50 rather than to go much faster. I put larger wheels (11x 20s) on mine and it makes me much more comfy knowing I have less of a chance making a vent hole in the block then it did with the 9x20s on it.

It just bugs me to be in a hurry in my A2. They stop good empty, but not like a pickup does.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Thought after you blow a hole in the engine block: "Oil leak? What oil leak? That's just sweat from all that horsepower. She will keep on going"

houdel

55 mph is about as fast as you can safely drive in these trucks. Remember, regardless of the year your truck was made, it is 1950s engineering and technology. The brakes are marginal and these trucks just aren't designed for modern highway speeds. Do turn the fuel up (see the sticky " how to turn up fuel...in pictures"), so you can hold speed on grades and hills. Just don't turn it up too much (no more than two flats) unless you install a pyro or you risk melting a piston. Good luck and welcome to the site!

fasttruck

I remember when the military started issueing radial tires the top end did not change because the tires were still 11:00X20 but the rolling resistance was sufficiently reduced you went up hills usually one gear higher than with bias tires.

rickf

If you want to go fast in a big MV truck then go out and buy an OTR truck and paint it OD. Some of these will top 100 mph.

Rick

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks