• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

More weatherproof storage, my version....

M1key

This last weekend we took the truck camping, so I finally had some alone time with the truck.

Really like my truck setup, but dry tool/equipment storage is kind of a problem for me. Putting items in the shelter is just not feasible, there are 5 of us sleeping in it! The onboard toolbox is always full. I have a rear toolbox from a 5 ton tractor but have not found a place for it yet. So I had an idea for some other green junk I just had to have.

I picked up these 155mm Howitzer propellant tubes at the Iola MV show (also available on-line). They have approx 6"x23" of usable space inside. Nice camlock rubber gasketed lid. There is at least 1 other style of tube like this, but it is longer and smaller in diameter.
DSC05070.JPG
It took me a while to come up with a location to put these, then I had an idea..
How about on the forward mud flap support brackets. (will not seem to work on the rear brackets on my truck)
DSC05072.JPGDSC05074.JPGDSC05075.JPG

Just drilled 2 1/4" holes through the support and into the tube. I needed to use a right angle drill to do it. (still need to add lockwashers or nylock nuts and a little rtv or silicone caulk to water proof it) Used 1/4-20 bolts about 1" to 1 1/4" long.

Sticks out maybe 1/2" past bed at most.
I think they can be locked pretty easily.
DSC05076.JPGDSC05073.JPG
It went so well I put one on the pass. side.

When I got home It was time to fill them.
Drivers side:
1/2" x 14' chain with slip/grab hooks.
1/2" x 6' chain with grab hook.
I've been looking for a good home for these for a while.
When you pull the hook out and let it go it "self unloads" onto the ground all by itself. Gravity is pretty neat.

Pass side:
Tankers tool bag containing:
1 pair of 1" towbar feet
1 pair of old style double sided 3/4" and 1" towbar feet.
Misc spare towbar pins.

As a side note,
I keep my towbar under the bed strapped to the frame, right behind the front of the bed. I have driven through 3 rain storms and it hasn't gotten wet yet.

I know this should have been put in the mod/hotrodding forum, but I want everyone to see this! It almost looks original, especially when it gets CARC'd!

What do you guys think of this?

Last edited: