• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mortor Oil to Diesel Ratio???

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since my last oil change in my Armada cost me $48, I have decided to change my own oil from now own. I know from other threads I can burn the used oil in the Multi-fuel in my 5 ton. What ratio of oil to diesel is a good rule of thumb?
Thanks,
James G.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some diesel, some oil. It will burn it either way. some guys are using almost 100% used motor oil. When my tractor filled the crankcase with diesel, I just poured the whole mixture into the tank on the deuce.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I sudjest you start small if your worried. Say 1 gallon to a tank full. Then 2 gallons and so forth. If your truck starts t orun back add more diesel. I run about 30% max. Even though i think it could handle alot more. I'm tring to keep injectors form fouling

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I run up to 50% motor oil. I can tell when there is too much motor oil in the fuel, the truck has a lot more black smoke and power. The compensator will work up to 50% oil, after that it can't cut back the fuel rate enough for the higher BTU's of oil. Have to be carefull if there is too much oil, the exhaust temps will go thruogh the roof.

If there is too much oil, just add some diesel.

I have the injector pump turned up, run about 1150 degrees on the pyro on a long, hard pull. Maybe a stock engine would take more oil since the pump is set lower. This is just what happens on this truck, don't have any experience on other ones.

Dennis

Last edited:

Bill W

On the older (Marine) Detroit Diesels it was safe to burn 25 (diesel) to 1 gal oil. Don't know if your compensator is hooked up or not but that is a safe ratio to start as you don't want to gum up the rings by running to rich. Also remember oil has higher BTU then diesel

OSO

Stay away from car engine drain oil. Sulfur content too high for Diesel fuel, will wear engine faster. This study goes back to 1983 ,from Diesel truck magazines published for fleet operators . OSO

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
OSO that is an interesting point. I have been reading up on this since you posted this, but I am finding so many patents and scientific papers that is slow going. Do you have a link to any of these articles about what you are saying? I wonder how mixing the engine oil with the new ultra low diesel fuel would work out.

m139h2otruck

During the late '70s (I think) there was a large earthmoving project for the TVA in KY &/or TN where millions of cubic yards of earth was being moved. The major contractors, faced with the rising fuel costs of the time(!) started mixing used oil with the fuel for the equipment, using a 10% ratio ( long time ago and memory fades). Per the article, they had no engine problems, got rid of the used oil, and cut fuel costs by up to 10%.

Could never do this today, with the fancy engine controls, the EPA police and such!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks