• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Most dangerous wheel barrow, part 1

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will never look at a small pickup with a BIG crate the same way again, very impressive and going to be a great project!
KK

FrankUSMC

The training rounds (dummy) run around $100 each plus shipping. With the nice guns the Brent has brought in, there is a run now on 106 stuff.
Talk about timing, I just got a M38A1 that I was going to use as a push/pull vehicle for the farm, because some one had cut half the tailgate area out. I am now going to cut the rest of the tailgate out and make the M38A1 into a M38A1C. I have found just about all the parts except the split windshield. All got VERY lucky a friend has made me a copy of the manual on how to convert the jeep over.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

gunboy1656

Frank,

Do you remember off hand how long it took to get back together?

I talked with my dad earlier and he got the bolt for the spotter rifle to slide, clean a bit of the slag off from the torch. I am going over tomorrow and try and figure out how to take everything apart. Since I don't have manual, it will be trial and error.

Guess it is time to go get a little dirty, as this thing is still lubed up like it was just taken out of the battle field. oil and still has some traces of cosmoline still on it.

Crazyguyla

Scott,

There's a big pile of those recoiless rifles sitting here in the bone yard. I think most have atlest benn cut in half.. if i could some how bring one back lol Pics will be posted later.

gunboy1656

If you can find a sight box off of one, I would appreciate it. Wonder if customs inspector would have an issue with that? Guess I might have to find one.

gunboy1656

UPDATE:

Today I spent some time at my dads. We learned a lot about this rifle, took a bunch of parts off, did some grinding to smooth out the threads a bit, got the bolt for the spotter rifle to slide in the receiver. Cleaned a bunch of grease off of it, some dirt. Still has the parkerization on it.

Dad's intent is to make a spanner wrench to take the spotter off and take it to work this week to weld it back up.

Well it was a long day, but here is some new pics........

Attachments

FrankUSMC

Gunboy
I will ask my friend how long it took to get mine done. Long story, but I asked him could it be unloaded at his garage because he had a forklift. Well he unloaded it off the shipping truck, unpacked it, and before I could stop him, he started welding it up! He built the whole thing for me. In the end his boss, who ownes the garage, only charged me for the material they used!
Sence I do not have the jeep ready, I asked them would they mind storing the 106 at there garage. They have it now, in the front of the garage, and a photo of it is there screen saver.
I will post the whole story later as a new post, not to hijack yours.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

Wrench Wench

Be sure to tell everybody here where and when you plan on trying to fire that thing for real.

Because I want to be NOWHERE NEAR THERE.:beer:

gunboy1656

A garage would be nice to have to build it but we don' t have the room inside the garage. so it is being done outside. For now...

It doesn't look like they used much material to rebuild yours.

And this wont be firing, except possibly to make in into a spud gun :grin::grin:

jas67

Pardon my ignorance, but are you actually going to try to put this back together? I would assume, for display purposes only. :!:

gunboy1656

Yes, we are putting it back together. And yes it is only for display. Would love to make it live again, but like everything else, no money to feed it, and no room to shoot it.

I am going out to my dad's today to do some more work on it.

gunboy1656

Well, today was a great learning experience. Took most of my family and went to see the LST325 that is docked in Pittsburgh for the weekend. On it they have a mule with a 106 on it. My dad loved seeing one up close. as well I enjoyed being able to take a long close look at it.

I don't understand why the owner did not fill in the cut in the breach lock? Was very noticable from a distance. One thing that bugged me was the owner was not around it to ask questions. Good thing I have been doing my research on it as I was asked about 30 different questions, mostly simple stuff. Got a lot of pics of it from every different angle. This one looks like it was from the same place nickd got his, once again, we got a better gun to start out with.

After the tour of the ship we had a couple hours to spend, so we filled in the big cut on top of the breach. Dad welded, I used the grinder. did not get a pic of the finished fill.

Here is some pics of the one on the LST.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks