• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Most valuable CUCV paint scheme?

bimota

Just setting up to paint two CUCV trucks, an M1031 and a M1010 - need to make the call on most value add paint scheme.

Please advise on most value add and detail your support for that. I've seen olive drab go pretty high and I've seen dark camo do ok - these are great condition trucks so the only big differentiator is paint and modifications. Since I like stock trucks for reliability I tend to only add mods like Tiny Tach and receiver hitch, USB ports etc.

So paint turns out to be a major differentiator - so what can you support with real sales transactions? Please post photos if you can.

Skinny

I have no sales advice but from a buyer's perspective, I'd be content with one that has no rust issues. Bonus if the bed and floor pans are lined with a quality texture like Rhino.

It's possible one scheme may be more valuable than another but that may only work if certain regions. Desert tan does me no good in New Hampshire as does Arctic Camo in Arizona. Having said that, I'd probably just stick with the OEM Carc color with correct colors on all the trim pieces. Pure speculation of course on my end. The non-09 Cucks are more workhorses so I'm more interested in driveline and interior condition than what color it is personally.

Another thing IMO, the truck is only as valuable as it's overall condition. One that has decent mileage, a fairly new IP, good rubber, etc. is worth much more than the same rig with fuel issues and massive amounts of PM required. Another bonus for an NP205 and front trac lok. I don't think you will see any significant value changes unless you address mechanical issues. These trucks do not typically go for top dollar unless some bone head thinks the world is ending and picks up a beat up M1009 for $6k on fleabay. That just boggles my mind... Most of the big dollar K30's going on Ebay seem to be the late 80's 454 1 tons in full Silverado trim. Bonus for the 91' as it has the perfect driveline.

AZDeuce

I agree with Porkysplace, it's in the eye of the beholder.........for me personally I'd want a nicely detailed truck painted solid 383 or desert sand CARC (or Lowes/Home Depot look a like) with NO markings. That way I can leave as is, or camo it myself, and add the markings I want. But if you did find the original markings and took pictures, or wrote them down and where they were located, and included them, that would be a nice touch in case someone is wanting to do a full up restoration back to original.......those are my thoughts and your mileage may vary.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are not trying to hide bad points with paint, offer it as with the buyers choice of color. The wrong colorncould cost you a sale.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In my opinion, any Rhyno/Linex bed liners would keep me from buying a truck with it. I like original, not some stuff that I cant easily take off.

Skinny

I don't quite follow in how the wrong color could cost a sale. Who is buying Cuck's as period correct show pieces? Maybe 1 out of a 100? These aren't numbers matching muscle cars. If it was an MV that was a little harder to come by or had awesome market value like an M998, I could see your point. Unless you have someone specifying and paying for a particular build, I think you'll do fine as long as it has paint on it.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would say for resale value only, a high quality automotive paint and paint it as a civilian truck (I like red). You will get alot more buyers than if camo.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't quite follow in how the wrong color could cost a sale. Who is buying Cuck's as period correct show pieces? Maybe 1 out of a 100? These aren't numbers matching muscle cars. If it was an MV that was a little harder to come by or had awesome market value like an M998, I could see your point. Unless you have someone specifying and paying for a particular build, I think you'll do fine as long as it has paint on it.
I can give you one example. Collector friend here won't buy tan trucks. Not so much MVs but I won't buy anything black.

bimota

Interesting about eBay and late 80's big block K30 - I have one I've been trying to sell locally without any bites - I had never considered fleabay! It has PTO winch, dump bed, 6" extended chassis, dually one ton with 4x4. I'd started driving the M1031 figuring the gas was better - maybe I should sell the civi!

Just saw the CUCV dually not reach reserve at $7100 and was shocked - the 6.2 pushing a dually is a total dog - not sure I understand the appeal.

I have no sales advice but from a buyer's perspective, I'd be content with one that has no rust issues. Bonus if the bed and floor pans are lined with a quality texture like Rhino.

It's possible one scheme may be more valuable than another but that may only work if certain regions. Desert tan does me no good in New Hampshire as does Arctic Camo in Arizona. Having said that, I'd probably just stick with the OEM Carc color with correct colors on all the trim pieces. Pure speculation of course on my end. The non-09 Cucks are more workhorses so I'm more interested in driveline and interior condition than what color it is personally.

Another thing IMO, the truck is only as valuable as it's overall condition. One that has decent mileage, a fairly new IP, good rubber, etc. is worth much more than the same rig with fuel issues and massive amounts of PM required. Another bonus for an NP205 and front trac lok. I don't think you will see any significant value changes unless you address mechanical issues. These trucks do not typically go for top dollar unless some bone head thinks the world is ending and picks up a beat up M1009 for $6k on fleabay. That just boggles my mind... Most of the big dollar K30's going on Ebay seem to be the late 80's 454 1 tons in full Silverado trim. Bonus for the 91' as it has the perfect driveline.

bimota

The CARC paints come in many colors and can be purchased from Sherwin Williams but at $90 per gallon that is steep. I was going to buy high quality oil based enamel out of Reno at $225 for five gallons (I'll need about 5 gal. for two trucks). This paint is similar to Rust Oleum Commercial they sell at Home Depot at $37 a gallon. Easy to use and very tough. We've had good results in California with the Rustoleum but you can only get the standard colors and mixing custom is treacherous or can be. Note my previous attempt at Forest Service Green:shock:

Not sure I can get the low gloss finish of the CARC paints - flats? Suggestions for sources of 383 - civi products?

bimota

M944 photo make it?

The CARC paints come in many colors and can be purchased from Sherwin Williams but at $90 per gallon that is steep. I was going to buy high quality oil based enamel out of Reno at $225 for five gallons (I'll need about 5 gal. for two trucks). This paint is similar to Rust Oleum Commercial they sell at Home Depot at $37 a gallon. Easy to use and very tough. We've had good results in California with the Rustoleum but you can only get the standard colors and mixing custom is treacherous or can be. Note my previous attempt at Forest Service Green:shock:

Not sure I can get the low gloss finish of the CARC paints - flats? Suggestions for sources of 383 - civi products?

Attachments

Doug Roberts

the Realtor White Theory prevails

It's all in the eye of the beholder , every buyer is different .

no matter what it is you're selling , the Realtor White Theory can not be disputed. The buyer views him/herself in the vehicle. If the vehicle is personalized in any way , it can polarize the buyer instantly. As we are talking about MVs , it is the Green ( used in that yr of production ), or the Desert .

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Look at the BEHR Paint threads. They lay out exactly how to get Federal Supply Standard 383 green mixed for you, and the cost is less than $30 per gallon.

Skinny

Interesting about eBay and late 80's big block K30 - I have one I've been trying to sell locally without any bites - I had never considered fleabay! It has PTO winch, dump bed, 6" extended chassis, dually one ton with 4x4. I'd started driving the M1031 figuring the gas was better - maybe I should sell the civi!

Just saw the CUCV dually not reach reserve at $7100 and was shocked - the 6.2 pushing a dually is a total dog - not sure I understand the appeal.
Yup, great truck but not $7100+ great. That is entering mint 1st gen Cummins territory and I'd much rather have a 6BT than a Detroit 6.2 in a work truck. A much better investment but don't tell anyone bidding.

Bighurt

I would just offer a paint job as contingency of sale. They buy you paint, I'd much rather have one painted to my specs then a random paint theme.

bimota

Well put!

no matter what it is you're selling , the Realtor White Theory can not be disputed. The buyer views him/herself in the vehicle. If the vehicle is personalized in any way , it can polarize the buyer instantly. As we are talking about MVs , it is the Green ( used in that yr of production ), or the Desert .

dependable

In my experience, if truck is in good mechanical condition with no rust, better off selling it as is. Hard to recover the cost or time of a good paint job. And a bad one will lower value to some buyers.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks