• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mosul Iraq

mudguppy

I know what an HET is. Marines don't have them.
ok. didn't sound like you knew what a HET was. but i understand now, you don't know what a HEMTT is because you guys have those LVS things. gotcha.

google is your friend. here are some great pictures of a HEMTT M984 wrecker in action.

halftrack

oh, and i'd've given anyone a field grade Article 15 for trying to tow an M1 w/ a HEMTT. not only is that retarded, it's deadly.
I guess while posing a question in post# 17 made it sound like I lacked the knowledge of current military transportation equipment as well as the search engine google.

Let me rephrase the question.

Why can you not use a HEMTT to pull a tank? Is a MK48 not a modified HEMTT or have the same drive train? We use the MK48 to haul our tanks.

I am just trying to find the reason why one service would use it in one role and the other would not.

If you can answer this intelligently without the sarcasm it would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

mudguppy

... Why can you not use a HEMTT to pull a tank? Is a MK48 not a modified HEMTT or have the same drive train? We use the MK48 to haul our tanks. I am just trying to find the reason why one service would use it in one role and the other would not...
we're talking about 2 different things, and it seems that it is my fault. when i heard "towing an M1 w/ a HEMTT" i thought that you were saying towing an M1 w/ a HEMTT wrecker - no trailer involved. yes, the MK48 appears to be the same [or similar] animal as an M983 HEMTT tractor coupled to a lowboy trailer capable of handling and stopping an M1. the issue i had w/ towing w/ a HEMTT [with out a trailer] you would obviously not have brakes to keep the M1 out of your back seat.

i understand now that you're questioning why i would think it's insane to tow w/ a LVS [with lowboy trailer] since that is what the USMC has been given to do such a task. so i was not understanding the question correctly.

... If you can answer this intelligently without the sarcasm it would be much appreciated.
never provided any. if it was recieved, i appologize.

However,
I guess while posing a question in post# 17 made it sound like I lacked the knowledge of current military transportation equipment ...
you asked the question of
We as Marines do not have an HET as far as I know. Is this not the same thing as a HEMTT?
and therefore, showing that you did not know the difference between the two critters i tried to help illuminate the issue. and
...as while as the search engine google.
obviously, if you had googled these items as well as looked at the pictures of the HEMTTs that i had linked, then you would have realized that i was not understanding the question and that this was just a misunderstanding. so, no, apparently you don't.

They had civilians for firefighters? Cool!
They have civilian everything. KBR and Haliburton are borrowed so far up uncle sams ass, the military couldn't take a **** without them.

There are civilain Firefighters,HAZMAT, Cooks, Mechanics, Electricians, Plumbers, Builders, Carpenters, IT Guys, MWR Clerks, HVAC, pretty much every job you need to build or run a base is civilian. About all the soldiers do anymore is fight. In my opinion its a sad state of affairs. But they claim its actually cheaper to pay a contractor then to pay a soldier to do it.

Green_gator

Two reaons why we use contractors for many things now that used to take a soldier. First it is cheaper to use a civilian if you do the math and make some assumptions. Second all of the services are limited in the number of personel that they can put in uniform. They would rather put shooters in the field then cooks and clerks. I would happily see the services go back to using soldiers instead of civilians but no way congress will approve the additional bodies.

I see it like this, what if a base is somehow over run by an enemy force. Then you have all these untrained unequipped civilians running around panicking and getting killed. We weren't allowed to carry any kind of weapons besides a pocket knife. At least if the jobs were performed by soldiers, they all are issued a weapon and at least some basic training in combat.

That scenario was in the back of my head. The only thing I could probably do is hide, try to care for wounded, or if possible take a weapon from a downed soldier and use it to protect myself and others nearby.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks