• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

motor mount install

firecontrol86

So I looked through the search a few times trying to find some info on installing new motor mounts and didn't really find anything. Here's my question: is there a better way to do other than lifting the engine and unbolting everything? I got both the old ones off, but the long bolt through the center of the drivers side mount isn't cooperating and it's hard to get the 3 bolts to line back up to the frame. Any suggestions?aua

OL AG '89

How did you get the old one's out without lifting the engine?

The "easiest" way to complete the instal is to mount the portion on the block, then put the two pieces together, top and bottom with long bolt then move the engine around. I assume you have on engine hoist? and the bolts will line up.... you may have a tought time "moving" a complete engine, but if its suspended by an engine hoist it makes it much easier...
I have just finished installing engine in the '79 truck in my signature..... had trouble lining up two halves, so i did the above and slipped right in.

firecontrol86

How did you get the old one's out without lifting the engine?
Haha, I guess I didn't word it very well. I did the wood block under the oilpan method to get the engine up. The removal wasn't too bad, it's the install that I'm having trouble with. After fighting with it for a while I got the pass side mount back attached to the block, but the driver's side is killing me. The long bolt just doesn't want to line back up with the new mount. I've tried using a prybar to get some force pushing it up, but the bolt hole is just a little bit off.

notsosanestan

Rent a engine hoist the engine is heavy and with the transmission attached it wants to sit back try using another Jack on the transfer and loosen the transfer mount

armytruck63

I had to do the two jack method a few years ago including loosening the transmission mount.

Something else I found out the hard way: my '84 Blazer takes the engine mounts for a 1983 civilian Blazer with the 6.2 engine. It seems that DoD chose the 1983 design, at least for the '84 CUCV's and told GM not to do model year updates.

The pair of '84 6.2 engine mounts I bought wouldn't fit.

firecontrol86

Something else I found out the hard way: my '84 Blazer takes the engine mounts for a 1983 civilian Blazer with the 6.2 engine.

The pair of '84 6.2 engine mounts I bought wouldn't fit.
I wish I had known this earlier. I realized after all my sweat and trouble that the mounts I ordered from LMC truck didn't work. Mine also takes the 78-83 motor mounts! And mine is an 86! So for anyone else thinking of doing this job NAPA has the right ones for about 11 bucks a piece. The part # is 602-1179, if we can I think that we should probably add that to the wiki. I'm glad it's done now.

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wish I had known this earlier. I realized after all my sweat and trouble that the mounts I ordered from LMC truck didn't work. Mine also takes the 78-83 motor mounts! And mine is an 86! So for anyone else thinking of doing this job NAPA has the right ones for about 11 bucks a piece. The part # is 602-1179, if we can I think that we should probably add that to the wiki. I'm glad it's done now.
Question Mr. Firecontrol; did you replace THE WHOLE motor mount assembly? Not just the rubber parts? Reason I ask is because I also searched for info on this and one recommendation is to just replace the inner rubber, (or some kind have poly) and not the whole sha-bang. It's like a clam-shell.

Would appreciate any comments on that, regards, Dave

firecontrol86

I replaced the whole shebang. The ones I pulled out were the same as the ones I put in and they seemed welded shut(and pretty rusty). However I don't know a whole lot about these trucks and maybe you can just replace the rubber with some trick or something. The mounts were pretty cheap though, so my suggestion is to just replace all of it.

duchiem1009

Thanks for the info. I removed my mounts and fought for 3 or 4 hours. I got the 84up mounts. needless to say they didnt fit. Mounts 1 - Me 0. I ran the part numbers, I came up with the mounts for a 305-350, Does that sound right???

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the info. I removed my mounts and fought for 3 or 4 hours. I got the 84up mounts. needless to say they didnt fit. Mounts 1 - Me 0. I ran the part numbers, I came up with the mounts for a 305-350, Does that sound right???
I'm seeing the same as you; Blazers get the 305-350 mounts. But supposedly, the M1008's call for the same mounts as a 454. Then, there's Energy Suspension's site that appears to not even offer any mounts or inserts for 1982-86 K30.... go figure!

Man, this motor mount thing is a weird mystery. I haven't got under my truck yet to pull these things because I'd really like to get the polyvinyl mounts and completely do away with all the rubber. So for me, this needs to be a one-shot deal; pull 'em and install 'em. Trans mount too!

Anybody done the polyvinyl motor mounts? Would luv to hear about it.