• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Motor nearly cutting out while driving.

tankie88

Went for a spin after a couple of months today to top up the fuel.Drove ok to the gas station as normal.On the way back the motor started to cut out momenteraly.But caught again.This was happening more and more on the way back home.Will tick over no prob and rev up no prob.I don't know the last time the fuel filters were changed.I've had the vehicle a year and I haven't changed them.Pump seems to be working ok as I can hear the fuel returning to the tank with the fuel cap off.Time for a filter change?????

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Sounds like you may have knocked some gunk loose while filling the tank...or maybe the fuel you added had a little water in it? Either way, the filters are the best place to start looking IMO.:papabear:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Easy things first. I second starting with what the inside of the tank looks like (gunk?). Then fuel flow from the tank. In tank pump working? Fuel flow to the primary filter? Fuel flow to the secondary filters? Is the fuel shutoff on the injection pump all the way open (you need to work the cable and take the cover off the shutoff "box" to check where the little lever sits). Fuel flow to the injectors?

While you are in there, check the air filter element and the canister. Remove the rag that got sucked in, as well as all dead mice and their homes. Plug the open port in the air filter canister if you have it.

ONE cause for intermittent fuel flow can be the plunger in the hydraulic head getting stuck, sometimes temporarily. A sign of wear. Tricky to diagnose, unless you have a "no start" situation and can demonstrate zero fuel flow to the injectors. Methodical investigation is your friend.

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your symptoms are identical to what we had a few months ago.

As soon as the primary fuel filter canister was opened, the problem was obvious. ALGAE ! ! !

Changed the one filter, added SEA FOAM to the fuel tank and SHAZAM ! Problem solved!

Fortunately, the in-tank algae was minimal, but the primary filter was a breeding ground for the SLIME MONSTER(S).

tankie88

Well,i've had the filters kicking about for a few weeks.Finally fitted them 2 weeks ago.Got around to taking it for a blast today.All sorted runs like a dream again.Over here they mix bio diesel with normal diesel at the refinery now a days.So I presume the dreaded algae was present after a long pause.So I added some NATO gunk for getting rid of algae.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks