• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

motor replacement

choll

Well found out where the oil leak is in my truck, head gasket driverside just above the oil filter. Here are my options with a local mechanic replace gasket and get head redone cost about $2000. I have access to this motors for $300-$400. This mechanic said it would take 18 hours to replace the motor cost just under $1700 for this. The motor is complete except for alts and starter. Im leaning toward the complete motor. What does everyone else think.
Second question does anyone know a at home mechanic in the las vegas NV area that would like to do it in their garage. In the mean time I guess I will drive it locally until the motor gives up the devil.

2deuce

I say get another estimate or buy yourself some cheap transportation, do the job yourself, then sell the temporary vehicle. Take your time and learn how to do it.

ralbelt

I did mine last winter, out side in 30 degree weather. Left side was cracked, got a new head. I also pulled the right side had it resurfaced and the valves pulled and inspected and replaced as necessary. Replaced fuel pump as without the head there is more room. Exhaust manifolds resurfaced and all new gaskets. Under $600.00. Granted A good friend runs an engine shop and did the machine work and got me a head at cost.
If I would do it again in 20-30 degree weather I would pull the engine It would only add another few hours and I could work on it inside.

2deuce

If your not up against a deadline, do it yourself, you might even enjoy it. I'm not paying anybody to R&R anymore. It's one of the great things about these trucks, we can do these jobs ourselves. Plus when the EMP hits, an apocalypse strikes, or zombies overrun, we can keep going alittle longer.

stampy

I think the gasket sets are $75 at Napa. I agree put a new set in yourself. Hey the worst thing that can happen is it leaks and it leaks now right. My buddy Chris had one that leaked and he ended up doubling the gaskets up and that fixed the problem.

OL AG '89

Get a second estimate!!! 2000 for a gasket replacement??? did I read that right? Heck I'd fly out there do it and flight back and still have about 1500 in my pocket!!! that's way TOO much IMHO
18 hours to replace motor???? It's an involved process but if he knows anything about this vehicle or diesel he's about double of what I would expect... I just did a replacement on son's 79 P/U.... total time is about 10 hours..... took us couple months, had to show up for work M - F..... and then there was hunting season and baseball and ....... STUFF Also used as teaching tool for a couple of buddies....... kids these days don't have a CLUE!!
Check around, I think you can find better option and less cost!!! again my opinion

JUNKYARDJOHN

Even if you had to go out & buy every tool to do the job, you'd still be money ahead to do it yourself. Nothing majical. Now this computer..... DIFFERENT STORY... I'm convinced theres some majical stuff going on in that box. ;) John

Barrman

I just looked in the "book." Actually a computer now. 8.0 hours is the alloted time to remove and replace a 6.2 in a 1984 Blazer. At $1700 to do the work, he wants to charge you $200 per hour and the cost of coolant, oil and filter. Find somebody else to do it.

Actually, anybody that has been working on vehicles for more than a year or so probably has lots of experience with this body style engine changes. 2 hours at the most should have the engine you drove the truck into the shop with sitting on the shop floor. Most places can do it in less than an hour.

197thhhc

I understand that you may not have the time, place, or desire to do this yourself: however, You need to become an informed consumer and tell this crook to get real. I am a proffessional mechanic and shop foreman where I work. You need to run not walk away from these people. Shops like this give us a bad name. Book time is 8.0 hours. Most shops are $75.00 to $100.00 per hour. Look around till you find someone honest and then become a loyal customer. A good mechanic will always treat you with respect and be able to justify his price quotes.

choll

Thanks for all the advice. I thought 10 hours was enough to get this done!! I know enough to get my self in trouble but thought 18 hours was a lot to replace a motor. Going to search around for someone to do it. Will keep everyone up to date.

ralbelt

I would not just put in a used engine without popping the heads and checking a few things out first. Whats to say you won't have the same problem with the replacement.